Potential advisor asking to meet up?

ganenjie.thonavocat

Dear all,

I am applying from abroad to MA programs both in America and abroad in Development Studies and Sociology. A potential advisor from a top choice program has been in email contact with me and has helped me tremendously (advices, etc.). Yesterday I emailed him after submitting my application just to say thank you, and he emailed back and said he would be in my area (Eastern Europe) doing fieldwork in early February, and would like to meet with me.

I'm extremely honored by the offer and have let him know right away I would love to meet and chat. At the same time, I'm very nervous about the meeting. I don't know if it would be like an informal interview, or more of a casual talk. Any advice on what I should prepare going into it? Thanks! :)

Oh and by potential advisor, I mean that all the institutions I applied to have PhD offerings and I have indicated my interest to continue to the PhD after the MA.

Edited by ganenjie.thonavocat

Dear all,

I am applying from abroad to MA programs both in America and abroad in Development Studies and Sociology. A potential advisor from a top choice program has been in email contact with me and has helped me tremendously (advices, etc.). Yesterday I emailed him after submitting my application just to say thank you, and he emailed back and said he would be in my area (Eastern Europe) doing fieldwork in early February, and would like to meet with me.

I'm extremely honored by the offer and have let him know right away I would love to meet and chat. At the same time, I'm very nervous about the meeting. I don't know if it would be like an informal interview, or more of a casual talk. Any advice on what I should prepare going into it? Thanks! :)

Oh and by potential advisor, I mean that all the institutions I applied to have PhD offerings and I have indicated my interest to continue to the PhD after the MA.

Know the school, know the faculty, know the research speciality, know yourself.

I meet with two of my POIs and both were extremely easy and helpful! This is a good thing so just enjoy it and see where it goes

That is so exciting! You must have made a good impression to have the prof reach out to you look that. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes! If it helps, just remember that professors are humans too, and the conversation should flow naturally from there. =)

Edited by joss10