Application Strength? Buddhist Concentration M.A. Fall 2013

Samahito

Hey guys,

I just signed up and I've been lurking for a few days, this looks like a really great group. I'm wondering if I could submit my own humble "what are my chances" post, in the hopes that somebody might have some insight in that regard.

I'm interested in studying the history of early Buddhism (from the Nikayas to the Mulamadhyamakarika) and as well cross-cultural studies of monastic customs and practice in Theravadin countries (esp Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Myanmar). I spent some time in Sri Lanka, ordained as a novice for a few months, and have some very basic training in Pali (and moderate proficiency in French) all of which I specified on my statement of purpose.

• Senior at California State University, Sacramento

• Major: Philosophy, Minor: Religious Studies

• GPA: 3.571

• GRE: V-160, Q-146, A-4.0

I've applied to these Religious Studies M.A. programs, concentrating in Buddhism, at:
    • IU Bloomington [First choice, I know it looks bad!]
    • CU Boulder
    • CSU Long Beach
    • Missouri State [accepted!]

And Philosophy of Religion at:

[*]UNM Albuquerque

Thanks, I look forward to the long wait with all of you :)

• 1 month later...

This isn't terribly related, but I know quite a few people that went to college at MSU (I'm from Kansas). If you want information about Springfield I'd be glad to offer it (spent quite a bit of time there off and on because of a close friend that went there).