Wisconsin Madison PhD CS Fall 2009

karthikrg

Hi,

I got an admit to the PhD CS program for the Fall 2009 session from the University of Wisconsin Madison yesterday by email. This is one of my dream univs and is well known for research in my area of interest (Computer Architecture). The mail however said that they were "unable to guarantee financial aid for me at the moment". I have also been strongly encouraged to mail professors there to ask about open RA positions (They said that as of now they have no TA vacancies). Being a student from india, it is impossible for me to even think about studying here without aid.. so I plan to mail professors and ask for aid.. Any pointers on what exactly should be included in the mail? I mean I should sound interested at the same time shouldn't sound desperate.. right?

This is just wishful thinking,.. but could the detailed mail which arrives later contain some funding information? I mean PhD is usually funded.. this is the 1st time I have personally heard of a PhD admit without funding.. Thanx

Regards,

Karthik

I got the same and what seems to be the problem is that even if you find RA position, nobody garantees that you will continue to receive funding during all your studies.

For example, UIUC provides guaranteed funding for 5 years. If you get RA and professor's money run out, you will receive TA. I'm not so confident in case of wisc-mad

I got the same and what seems to be the problem is that even if you find RA position, nobody garantees that you will continue to receive funding during all your studies.

For example, UIUC provides guaranteed funding for 5 years. If you get RA and professor's money run out, you will receive TA. I'm not so confident in case of wisc-mad

At most places priority goes to later year students so funding the first year is the most difficult. This isn't always the case, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked...

I have asked my college seniors, who are presently studying in Wisconsin Madison, and they said that once you get funded, it is only in the rarest of the rare cases that the funding is withdrawn. (Say you don't work properly or something similar) Otherwise the prof looks at your estimated years of study before taking a decision to fund you. At least this is the info I got.