How much to read into this?

viggosloof28

Hey all!

I got a really nice email from one of my POI today. They said they (and another prof in my field at that school) had received and were really impressed with my application. They went on to say that, though this was "far from an official confirmation," they would be "very pleased" to work with me, and that my project would fit in perfectly at that program.

I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes too high - this is one of my dream schools. How much should I read into this? Do professors usually email students they've corresponded with just to confirm receipt of their application? In short, are they just being polite, or do I maybe have a realistic chance of getting in?

Any and all feedback is, as always, appreciated! Thanks! :)

That's a very positive sign that they want you in their program. Professors are not obliged nor do they see respond or send emails to be polite or to get anybody's hopes up. I'd interpret this as a very good sign and perhaps and unofficial early acceptance barring any funding constraints.

• 2 weeks later...