Data Collection question for my master's thesis?

nehs

I am about to submit my proposal for my master's thesis. I need to write about how I plan to collect and/or analyze data. However, I don't think I would be collecting any new data. I probably will use exisiting data from literature review. How do I mention this in my proposal? I'm not sure I can ask my advisor this :P

Also, my proposal needs a timeline/schedule. How strict is this usually? Is this sort of a guideline to help the advisors/dept know when I plan to graduate? or is this just a formality?

Re the data source - if your project works with data already available then there is no need to collect any. Collecting data is timeconsuming and very hard so I would def keep it to "old" data.

Re time line - just a way of making sure that you have figured the process out and know how to approach a large project. I would really not see this as a formality - without proper planning; you will not be graduating any time soon :)

Re data collection: say you'll collect data from review articles rather than collecting new data. Explain what kind of data you're collecting and where you expect to find it. I assume you'll explain how you'll use it in other parts of the proposal.

Re time line, it depends on your department. Some view it as just a formality but others view the proposal as a kind of contract you make with your department about what kind of work you'll do and for how long, before you get your degree. It can help settle disagreements later (see posts on this board about advisors not letting their students graduate) so you want to make sure it reflects a reasonable plan that you can follow and that both you and your advisor can agree on. Ask more senior students in the program which it is.

fuzzylogician - Thanks. Well, it is me who is actually looking to enter a "contractual" agreement with my advisor, so that he is aware of the semester that I plan to graduate. I'm going to put down my timelines for the research and the thesis writing anyway. I imagine the thesis (around 70-100 pages) itself should not take over a month for a final copy.