PhD (AI/Algorithms) Chances

Hi, I am a Computer Science and Mathematics double major and Economics minor at a top 10 university and want to apply for a PhD in Computer Science (in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or Algorithms). I have a 3.8 overall GPA and a 4.0 in Computer Science. I've had 2 Microsoft software engineering internships. Since I am a junior I don't have my GRE score yet (but I got a 35 on the ACT in high school so I expect it to be decent). LORs should be great and the profs who will write them have all written be recommendations before. I hope to TA next semester in/close to my research area, and I have many other CS/math extracurriculars. 

I have worked on various research projects. One dealt with computer science education and resulted in conference publication (one of several authors). I am working on math research with a professor that might end up getting published but I'm not sure. I'm writing my thesis on game theory algorithms to graduate with distinction in CS, and hopefully I can try to get a publication from that before I apply for grad school. I have done other research which naturally did not lead to publication—a paid research assistantship in the business school, and some CS/optimization work for a committee that has real-world applications for my uni rather than a theoretical basis for a paper.

Although I have been involved in all this research and have loved it, I am nervous about my chances of getting into top PhD programs if the only publication is the one on computer science education since it's not in my CS interest area. I'm also worried that if this happens my research will seem scattered. If I only end up with that one publication, would it be better for me to apply for Masters first if my aim is to attend a top PhD program?

Do you think I could be competitive in the PhD programs below, and if not what range should I aim for?

Carnegie Mellon (Computer Science- Algorithms, Combinatorics and Optimization)

Stanford, Harvard, MIT, etc.

According to what I know, you have a good chance.

That being said, for such top schools that you mentioned, it is also quite possible to get rejected by all of them.

I think you will be certainly admitted by one of top 20 PhD programs (especially big public schools) though.

I meant the former. There are really many good applicants for such top schools that I don't think anyone can be assured for admission unless he or she is truly extraordinary. But I think you are as good as some applicants I know who got into those schools. At the end it seems to depend on the quality of the recommendation letters and the overall impression of your application than anything else. If I were you (applying for PhD), I would mostly apply to schools in top 20 and maybe one or two big public schools below them for safety.