Application Status

wildcatsfan86

I received an email from one of the schools I applied to a couple weeks ago, telling me that my file was complete and being forwarded to the department, how to check my application status, and that admissions decisions would NOT be posted online. Basically the only purpose was for me to be able to see whether or not my application was complete and to see when the decision was made.

Since that time there has been nothing on that page about my application status, despite the explanations saying that the page will show the status (being reviewed, decision made, etc). There is something however that says "admission type". Next to that it says "graduate non-admit". It's said this the entire time. I'm assuming this means I'm not admitted, but others have told me it *could* be some sort of "campus code".

Any ideas?

So it's said that since you submitted your application? If that's so, I think it likely is some sort of bizarre code - but you might want to check with them about it just to make sure your application is classified correctly - IE, your application isn't classified as a non-degree student or a visiting grad student.

If you just noticed it said that, then yes, it probably means that you are not admitted. However, it seems weird it would be up there when they specifically said that decisions would not be posted online...however with these programs, often the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing...

While they were processing the application in the grad school, the admission type said "pending", if I remember correctly. Once I received that email that everything had been forwarded to the department (that day, given the dates they had listed for finally processing various components of the application), it then read "graduate non-admit".

Hmmm, while that's not particularly encouraging, I'd be cautious of treating it as an out and out rejection.

I know the way these things typically work is that you send your materials to the graduate school, who collects them and then forwards them to the department. The department then does its review, and then sends its recommendation back to the graduate school...who then, if you're recommended for admission, checks to make sure you meet certain minimum requirements and then issues the official admittance.

The fact that it changed to graduate non-admit as soon as they notified you the file was complete and sent to the department is a little hopeful - if they (the graduate school) was rejecting you outright, why bother forwarding your application to the department? Perhaps the status means that you haven't been admitted *yet*. I'm just throwing things out there.

I really don't know, though - is there someone in the someone in the graduate studies (perhaps the go-to person for the grad application) who you could ask about this?

Best of luck =)

I sent an email to the person from the grad school who had sent the email regarding checking application statuses. In the email she said if there were any questions, to contact her, so I figured that would be the best place to start. Hopefully I'll get some sort of response one way or the other.