Preparation for Macro Social Work

TheCrow

Happy Holidays! I'm a current sophomore--I was wondering what courses and experiences you might recommend as preparation for macro-level social work. Though I'm interested in macro-level social work rather than direct practice, are there courses I should take to prepare me for the courses that will focus on direct practice? I've only completed one course in psychology (child development) and plan to take one course in human biology.

Your general education requirements should help you prepare for or fulfill the foundation requirements for the MSW. If you want to concentrate in macro practice (working with communities, organizations, and social policy/advocacy), then I highly recommend electives in (American) history, ethnic/gender studies, sociology, political science, and/or public policy. Courses about race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, community development, etc. usually suffice.  

Edited by michigan girl

Outside of coursework, I highly recommend volunteering for an advocacy organization or similar in your community. While textbooks and classes are phenomenal, learning "real work application" has been enormously useful and has only further cemented my passion for macro social work.

Edited by citychild

Does anyone have experience or knowledge on macro social work with the refugee populations? So I guess that would be administration/policy work with organizations that serve an international/multicultural/refugee population. 

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

The concern about experiences came up because most MSW programs emphasize "social work experience" (and recommendations from those supervisors) and I have a hard time conceptualizing what that looks like for macro-level work. For instance, I'm interning at the U.S. Department of Education right now developing outcomes assessments for federal grants to strengthen historically black colleges and universities and I'm not sure if that counts.

I have some direct experience (e.g., AmeriCorps term of service, tutoring at a community college, advocate at a juvenile justice deferral program), but most of my experiences are in policy, management, and administration—but, again, I'm not sure what constitute the essential qualities of "social work experience" and what level of experience is expected for someone applying straight out of undergrad. I've heard that social work schools also value experience under the direction of an MSW social worker, but I've never encountered one employed by anywhere I've worked (or at similar organizations).

I'm attending what many consider to be an "elite" undergraduate institution and I've been fortunate enough to have many experiences (e.g., I've served on state boards, commissions, and projects), but largely because of the privileges I enjoy (e.g., gender, race, class). I don't want to appear in my application as though I think I'm "too good" for direct practice positions, but I don't feel that those positions are the best fit for me. I'm particularly sensitive to what I see as an occasional trend of students from elite schools seeking to open practices and "fix the Ghetto." Rather, I want to use my privilege to liaise among underserved populations, individuals and organizations that work directly with them, and the decision-making institutions that can effect systemic change. 

Edited by TheCrow

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of coursework, I highly recommend volunteering for an advocacy organization or similar in your community. While textbooks and classes are phenomenal, learning "real work application" has been enormously useful and has only further cemented my passion for macro social work.

Excellent advice!

With my volunteer work, I had a mix of macro and micro. From what I've learned through talking with a lot of my classmates, very few in my cohort had macro volunteer experience. I think having macro work really makes you stand out and if macro is what you want to focus on with your MSW education, it makes you look like you're serious.