Inclusion and Social Work Programs

cheesecake

Hello all,

This is my first time posting here. I'm currently in a BSW program in Canada and I am interested in applying for my MSW in a couple of years. Through my BSW journey, I realized that diversity (gender, race, ability etc) in faculty and student body is really important for me but lacking in my current program. It's pretty white, hetero, middle-class. I sometimes find this frustrating as I find myself thinking that my program does not practice what it preaches nor does it make any seriouse commitments to systemic changes. 

I was wondering...

What kind of anti-oppression initiatives exist within your programs?

What programs have most *diversity* in their faculty/students?

Anything else? 

I have noticed similar in my BSW program and it irritates me so much. I have been on the receiving end of some rather homophobic remarks from professors in the social work department during a social work class. As a result, I am leaving my university to attend graduate school. A lot is the surrounding community as well... I have noticed my neighborhood (I live near the campus but not on campus) is largely white and lacks diversity as well.

I have noticed similar in my BSW program and it irritates me so much. I have been on the receiving end of some rather homophobic remarks from professors in the social work department during a social work class. As a result, I am leaving my university to attend graduate school. A lot is the surrounding community as well... I have noticed my neighborhood (I live near the campus but not on campus) is largely white and lacks diversity as well.

Hi Citychild; that sounds rough and I understand why you would want to go to a different school. The city my school is in is more diverse than the program. I experienced racist comments from my professors and my peers and though I tried to address it in the past, I found it extremely draining as people always denied it and somehow made it my fault that i was upset.  Do you know where you would like to go for graduate school?

You can see where I applied to in my signature. The reasons for my applications are diverse... feel free to ask if you'd like to know.

I completely understand what you mean by "draining" and I am so sorry you have had to experience things like that. I wish I knew what to say, but really, there is no excuse for such poor behavior...