NYU, Northwestern, or Michigan?

NW isn't really Suburbia... Evanston isn't exactly Chicago, but it's connected by the L so you'd have no problem getting around, or even living in a hip neighborhood and attending NW (no problem except paying the rent on a stipend, I suppose).

Your money is going to go the farthest in Ann Arbor, so that's something to consider.

Personally, I'd pick Mich or NW over NYU, but NYU is an attractive program too.

Are the funding packages equal? I had noted in my huge spreadsheet of schools that both Michigan and Northwestern offer 2 years of fellowship funding, during which you don't have to work and can focus on your studies. You can't get better than that. Unless you got the same from NYU or it has something really special or you absolutely have to live in NYC, it doesn't seem like it can compete. It's lower in the rankings and cost of living would be higher.

Something to consider is that Michigan is a top program, but like Wisconsin, it's huge. Lots of grad students and lots of undergrads. If you're okay with that, it seems like Michigan would be an exciting place to be. It has the Institute for Social Research, as well. If you want a slightly smaller program, Northwestern might be a better fit.

Have you visited yet? It might be a question of who you "click" with. Good luck! And congratulations! These are great choices to have.

• 2 weeks later...