Need to make a choice (ECE PhD)

Hi everyone,

I have pretty much received all of my PhD application decisions now, with the following acceptances:

UMich (VLSI) - aid possibly coming soon

Carnegie Mellon (VLSI design and computer architecture) - full fellowship

UCLA (Highspeed VLSI) - full fellowship

Cornell (Comp. Arch and VLSI) - not sure about aid.

U. of Toronto (Low Power VLSI) - full scholarship

So now I have to make the decision! I have visited UMich and CMU already.....I think i like CMU better (structure of the program, people, etc).

Should I make my decision based on rankings? If that is the case CMU might be the best choice.....but UMich is quite better for engineering in general..

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Guest chych

I would base it on the quality of your potential advisor, and the research there. The school itself takes less of a role in your PhD than your research group. I'm finishing my undergrad at CMU, so if you have any questions, I may be able to help.

I would base it on the quality of your potential advisor, and the research there. The school itself takes less of a role in your PhD than your research group. I'm finishing my undergrad at CMU, so if you have any questions, I may be able to help.

Thanks for the advice...I just may have some questions for you regarding CMU.

Are you planning to continue with graduate studies there?

Guest chych

There's a good chance I'll stay for grad studies here, as I have a good offer and research group (still looking at MIT though). Anyways I'm in mech eng, not ECE, but I may know something you may want to know.