Rhode Island Peeps

I wasn't able to answer the phone when they called (around 2 PM), so the only information I have at this point is what the DGS said in her voicemail: I was recommended for admission, they're offering a TAship, and I have to tell them by, get this, March 11 what my decision is, or they will assume I've turned down their offer. No visitation for prospectives, no room for waiting on other programs I have yet to hear from. Anyone else in this situation, or have any advice? I'm planning on drafting an email to the DGS asking her a few questions, but also requesting more detailed information about the funding that's on the table. Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about tactfully "demanding" more information, especially with only 6 days until the 11th? I'm kind of freaking out.

Spartaca, Do you have other offers you'd prefer right now? If so, I'd tell Rhode Island to take their severely truncated deadline and shove it. If they belong to that national organization of schools (don't remember what it is called right now), they legally CANNOT force you to answer until the 15th. If this is your best offer at the moment, I'd draft an email asking lots of questions including a detailed funding package, maybe suggesting you have another offer (even if you don't. . . I don't mean outright lie but a feat of linguistic legerdemain might suffice) and that you understood from them you have until April 15 and why the March 11 deadline. I'd also ask what happens if you can't reply by March 11. Maybe they're just trying to bully you into answering and nothing bad will happen if you don't answer by then. Either way, they've accepted you, so you're in the position of getting to make a choice. I think you've got room to be a bit assertive since you have so little time and, after all, they want you ;)

Saw this pop up in the search results and had to post what I know. I received my official packet from Berkeley today and it included a sheet from the Council of Graduate Schools, specifically their "Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants." The sheet states the following:

'Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the conditions affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties.

Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. [...] It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above Resolution that a copy of this Resolution should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer.'

I checked the list of schools indicating their support of the Resolution (also included on the sheet) and yup. The University of Rhode Island is listed right there (right before the University of Rochester). So something's fishy.

The only loophole I can see is if their offer of a TA-ship and/or support doesn't apply to next year (ie. they will support you starting your second year or something like that). But even then, it seems highly devious and wholly against the spirit of the resolution. The bit of text I excised above pertains to a student's ability to withdraw an acceptance of admission before April 15 (you can simply 'submit in writing a resignation of appointment'), so we should technically have complete agency over the pace of our decision-making (providing financial support is involved) up through that date.

Okay. Good luck figuring this whole thing out!

(I should also note that this doesn't seem legally binding for the institutions involved; it makes them look good to be on that sheet, but maybe some of them are playing fast-and-loose with the resolution anyway. It's possible the only penalty for a violation is loss of respect.)

This might be one of those "pick-your-battles" situations. Do we really want to make a lot of noise about this (having this be the department's first impression of us)?

However, it does seem that URI is rather "out-of-line" here--see information below:

Council of Graduate Schools:

http://www.cgsnet.org/Default.aspx?tabid=102

University of Rhode Island is a member:

http://www.cgsnet.org/Default.aspx?tabid=102&ctl=InstSearchResult&mid=437&TYPE=REGION&VALUE=NORTHEAST

Actual resolution (with PDF indicating URI supports the resolution--as of 2004):

http://www.cgsnet.org/Default.aspx?tabid=201

Good luck and keep us informed about your actions and what happens.

Best,

JAMG

First off, this sucks. Sorry for all involved.

However, why couldn't you accept on March 11th and if you get another offer, then you could drop Rhode Island. It's not the best thing to do--sure you don't want to jerk them around. But there's nothing to really stop you, is there?

booksareneat - Yeah, I'm thinking this is the best option right now.

The situation does suck a bit, but in the grand scheme, it's not too big a deal. Helps knowing that I can back out until April 15 in case something more enticing comes along.

Thanks to all for the info and advice! In spite of this site being the bane of my existence while waiting for notifications, this forum has also been surprisingly helpful and supportive!

I got the same call and deadline thrown at me. I acted astonished - 6 days from now!? I have other acceptances with funding, but because of the location being near my fiance's job offer, am highly considering the program.... if, and only if, after a visit and speaking with faculty, it is a good enough fit. I am on vacation right now and have been freaking out about this. Thank you for those who posted the information regarding the Council's rules. I don't know how I'll go about addressing this, but it certainly needs to be done!

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got my official letter from URI today (after I called and bugged a secretary into giving me an answer almost 1.5 months ago). No offer of funding, which I knew. Does anyone have experience with this program and getting funded after your first year?