Which GPA do grad schools look at?

Smile33

I have a 3.0 gpa from my Community College, I transferred out and currently have a 3.8. I will graduate soon with my BA in International Criminal justices. I plan on taking my GRE in August.

If i apply to graduate schools, which gpa do they look at?

I read somewhere they look at last 60 hours, is that true?

Edited by Smile33

I have heard from several places that they look at your last two years. So for your situation, probably only your GPA since you've transferred (although you will have to send in your community college transcripts as well). I had absolutely horrible grades at one community college, then a 4.0 at another. I was able to transfer, got decent grades at my university, and got into an MA program. Based on my funding package, they only looked at my university grades. 

Again, knowing nothing about your field, I think a 3.8 is an excellent GPA. The consensus seems to be that writing samples (if you are required to have one), your statement of purpose, and your letters of recommendation are the most important parts of your application, then your GPA and GRE scores. I think even with a horrible GPA, it's possible to get into a top tier grad program with other strong application components, so it's certainly possible, but I think most of the decision is based on things other than GPA. If you browse through the results pages, there are plenty of rejections with 4.0 GPAs and stellar GRE scores, which seems to prove the theory that the numbers are only a small factor.