Note on my SOP saying that I selected the wrong option

When submitting my last application form today, I realized I had selected the right program, but the wrong option. I actually do not want to select any specialization area, as none in that program matches my area of interest.

I emailed the Graduate coordinator of the Department, who told me that it won't be a big deal, but that I still have to make a note on my SOP (which I have to upload on a different website) saying that I made an error.

I have no idea how I should write that note. Should I write a sentence on top of the first page?

Thank you very much for your attention!

Perhaps something like this:

"Although I have selected X area of specialization on my application, I would like to explore other areas of interest before finalizing/confirming this decision."

That way, it doesn't look like you made a blatant mistake, and it lets them know that you are open and interested in all the options. I would put it at the end of your SOP or wherever you talk about your fit with the program.

Edited by sugarmilk

Thank you Sugarmilk for your suggestion. But here's the thing: in my SOP I explain what topic I want to work on (U.S. foreign policy and international security), and it has nothing to do with that option (development studies)... I'm afraid the admissions committee will think that I'm just stupid or something!

I don't think it will hurt you if you make a note saying that you made a mistake.  I think it would do more damage to act like it wasn't a mistake, especially when you specifically call out your topic of interest in your SOP.  That would make it seem like you were contradicting yourself and you weren't really sure what you want to do.  I really can't imagine an AdComm knocking points off a qualified candidate for a simple "mis-click".

If you are still unsure, I would email the Admissions Committee directly (I'm assuming the grad coordinator is not part of the AdComm team, but could be wrong), letting them know of your mistake and confirming that they want you to add a note to your SOP.

Thank you Nickel, it's very helpful. I'll probably contact the Committee directly. If they tell me to add a note on my SOP, do you think I should write something like "Note : I selected the Development studies option on the form by mistake;I am actually applying to the M.A. in Political Science." ?

Is there an option to add an additional essay/explanation on the online application? Most of the time such an extra essay would be used to explain a black mark or special life circumstances ("I was diagnosed with X my sophomore year..." etc.), but it might be a place where you could address your inadvertent mis-click without taking up valuable space in your SOP.