Fall 2013: Art History

Bearcat1

As I believe today is the deadline for the last "Top Ten" art history PhD program, I thought I'd start a thread where we can all post any news we've heard (although I realize most of us are weeks away from anything) or anything else. The art history forums have been awfully quiet this year, but I know we're out there! 

I wish I could report that I'm feeling relieved now that the application process is over, but I think the stress is getting worse by the day. How's everyone else holding up?

I'm momentarily thrilled and in disbelief to be done, but I'm already a bundle full of nerves about my applications. I just want to fast forward to February/March!

Finished with my apps!  I'm waiting it out now too...I still open up the SOP's I submitted.  2nd time applying....i just need one school (preferably Yale!)  but I am applying for jobs for fall just in case.

Applied to Yale, Northwestern, Princeton, UCLA, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, UT Austin, U Chicago

SShareef, has your application status changed on the UT site? It's always said, "your application has been forwarded to the committee for review" on top, but I just noticed on the right side it says "in review." Is that new?

I just heard some news! My POI (who is also chair of the department) emailed me today to say they were pleased I applied and that I seem like a great fit for their PhD program. This application was received mid-December. 

Congrats!!! Care to share which program? That's really great news!!!!!!!!

Guest lefilsdhomme

Correction: Also just received an email to attend their interview weekend. 

I apologize Bearcat1 - I'm not quite comfortable saying which program, however, it is not one that you applied to

That is fabulous news! Congratulations!

Correction: Also just received an email to attend their interview weekend. 

I apologize Bearcat1 - I'm not quite comfortable saying which program, however, it is not one that you applied to

Completely understandable; sorry to pry! But thanks for letting me know it's not one of mine.

Good luck!!! What are you going to wear??!?! I'm going to spend the next week worrying about it for you so I don't have to worry about my own applications.  :wacko:

Bearcat-- is your username a reference to the Bingham painting where the bear looks like a cat? Or am I just reading into it too much?

What?!?!? No, but now I have to look that up! A bearcat is an actual animal, also called a binturong (see adorable avatar). It has absolutely nothing to do with my art historical interests (although I might start telling people it's a reference to the painting you speak of). 

Edit: Just looked it up. I thought that was an owl! Upon closer inspection, I would have said cat. Bearcats look more like a giant raccoon than a bear or a cat. 

Edited by Bearcat1

I see!  That is a cute creature.  When I was studying the painting for comps, I kept thinking it was a cat, but was assured that it was in fact a bear.  My knowledge of American art doesn't go much further than that...!

I see!  That is a cute creature.  When I was studying the painting for comps, I kept thinking it was a cat, but was assured that it was in fact a bear.  My knowledge of American art doesn't go much further than that...!

I have seen it a million times in books, and I really thought it was an owl. When I Googled it today, I see that it does look like a cat. (Also, it never seemed strange to me that two men would be in a boat with an owl on a leash???) And your knowledge of American art is broader than mine, I can assure you! 

Completely understandable; sorry to pry! But thanks for letting me know it's not one of mine.

Good luck!!! What are you going to wear??!?! I'm going to spend the next week worrying about it for you so I don't have to worry about my own applications.  :wacko:

No no! No problem at all. 

I actually had this discussion of interview clothing yesterday with a PhD candidate who interviewed with CASVA. Many of the advisers guided her towards that 90s professional businesswoman look (pantsuit, conservative, etc.) whereas the latest trend seems to veer towards more feminine, dress/skirt look. It's an interesting switch. 

I've actually worked in the art history field for some time now, and already know what I'm wearing :) Both to Williams and this new place! Pretty excited! 

Results say that a couple people have been asked for interviews at Ohio State. I hope this means that the rest of us will start hearing soon!

I hope so! I can make it through one more week before I really turn into a complete mess, so to hear something before that happens would be amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I heard from Temple Art History PhD on 2/1 that I was accepted, but with no funding.  I also applied to Delaware, UPenn, and Bryn Mawr PhDs and haven't heard anything from those schools yet.