First Acceptance

mgmuscari

I had a few minutes of down-time at the end of the day today so I called my first choice school to inquire about the date for notifications. The Administrative Assistant said she was working on them as we spoke, and asked me my name. I have been accepted for Ph.D with 2 years guaranteed TA-ship, stipend, and insurance.

I have 6 minutes left until I can leave the office and I can barely contain myself... I'm shaking as I sit here due to the need to jump and shout for joy. So much was riding on this; without grad school I would be stuck in corporate purgatory indefinitely.

I am so completely ecstatic right now... I feel like a tremendous burden has been lifted from my shoulders. Did anyone else feel this way about their first acceptance?

:D 8) :mrgreen: :P

Yup I know the feeling. I was actually in the library when Berkeley called. I yelped while listening to the voice mail message. Got strange looks from the other people reading and studying. So I ran outside and called my best friend, giggling like a madman! :lol:

Congrats!!!

Congrats! I totally know the feeling. After so many rejections you just give up. I started preparing to reapply after 60% of the schools I applied to rejected me. Then today I open my inbox to my first acceptance and had a :o moment. Upon first glance I was like G Damn another rejection. Then I opened and read it, started shaking, then started dialing any number I could think of to share the amazing news.

Congrats to everyone on this thread! It's such a relief to know that you are going somewhere! When my first acceptance came in the mail, my roommate IM'd me at work: "Uhh, I don't want to alarm you, but you just got a big envelope here from Rutgers... can I open it?" So he ended up "reading" it to me over IM. Good times.

I just got my first acceptance today too!

I was talking to my research advisor when his phone rang. We were done, so I left his office just as he answered it. About five minutes later I got an email acceptance. Turns out that the phone call was the graduate school calling my advisor to ask him about my freakishly low GRE scores, and once they were confident that I can indeed manipulate fractions, they were satisfied!

Anyway, I was so excited after I saw the word "congratulations" that I couldn't make out the rest of the message for a few minutes. Literally, I couldn't read for a minute and for a few seconds I couldn't read the name of the university to see which school had just accepted me (they abbreviated UWM and in my excitement I couldn't tell if that meant Maryland or Wisconsin...lol).

Congratulations everyone!

Congrats to everyone on this thread! It's such a relief to know that you are going somewhere! When my first acceptance came in the mail, my roommate IM'd me at work: "Uhh, I don't want to alarm you, but you just got a big envelope here from Rutgers... can I open it?" So he ended up "reading" it to me over IM. Good times.

R U Rah Rah!

Congrats on also getting into Rutgers. Is your program criminal justice? AFAIK it's a good one. I can't say I'll be running into you at Rutgers Newark, though; I'll be spending all my time holed up in study lounges on Busch Campus in Piscataway.

See if you can make it to some football games - Rutgers Stadium is a great place to be a student.

Congrats to everyone who's gotten good news! I got my first acceptance (and only decision at all so far!) yesterday. I was at the gym and checked my e-mail on my phone (yes I am totally obsessed). I had to download a Word file that had the actual letter and it seemed to take FOREVER! Luckily the title of the document was something about Welcome Weekend, so I figured it had to be good news. I definitely had to restrain myself from freaking out and announcing to everyone that I had gotten into grad school, but I kind of wanted to cause I figured people might applaud and that would be nice. :lol:

I definitely had to restrain myself from freaking out and announcing to everyone that I had gotten into grad school, but I kind of wanted to cause I figured people might applaud and that would be nice.

Awesome.

I was watching Top Chef on Surf the Channel and ignoring the beeps signalling new mail in my inbox. It was a Saturday around noon so I wasn't expecting anything important. Imagine my surprise to read "University of Massachusetts acceptance letter" in the subject line. I'm not much of a crier but tears of relief were streaming down my face.

Congrats to everyone.