Struggling with a very small word limit for SOP

This may seem like an odd issue to have. I'm applying for an MA in English for Fall 2013, and for one of the schools, I must submit a personal statement of approximately 250 words that describes the degree I want to pursue, reasons for pursuing this degree, relevant work experience, and career goals. Yes, I must address all of these topics in a mere 250 words or so. Such a small word limit has been more restrictive than easy. I'm struggling to address all of these aspects in the prompt as well as provide a sense of who I am through more personal examples and a unique and fresh introduction in under 300 words. Each draft always ends up sounding impersonal, bare-bones, and a bit mechanical, and I'm stuck. I've been spending too much time on it, and I need to send it soon. How should I approach this issue? What should I sacrifice? How seriously do committees take these word limits? I'm wondering if, by making such a short word requirement, the program expects applicants to write SOPs that are more "to the point." Any advice would be appreciated, really. I think I just need some outside opinions.

Would you mind sharing what school this is? It sure seems strange for an English program! :)

Oklahoma State University. And I agree, it's unusual. The other schools that I'm applying to ask for at least a page. It is DEFINITELY testing my editing skills, ha!

I applied to a department that had a 1000 character limit on the application but soon after submitting, the graduate coordinator e-mailed to inform me that a 1 page letter is preferable and would be appended to my application. It might be useful to contact your department to find out if they would accept a full length statement, in addition to your abstract.