Low verbal score

bosbos1994

I graduated at stony brook university with a 3.64 GPA and i would like to apply for a master in civil engineering at some of the top engineering schools like NYU, columbia and UPenn. I worry so much about my GRE score ( Q: 163  V:150). Is my verbal score too low for all those prestigous schools?

you can send scores from one or the other (i think they let you choose for an extra fee  <_< ) but you cannot mix and match (e.g. say you got 600V, 700M the first time and 550V, 800M the second time, you couldn't send 600V, 800M). I think it might be free to send only the most recent score, but i'd have to check.

you can send scores from one or the other (i think they let you choose for an extra fee  <_< ) but you cannot mix and match (e.g. say you got 600V, 700M the first time and 550V, 800M the second time, you couldn't send 600V, 800M). I think it might be free to send only the most recent score, but i'd have to check.

There is no Extra Fee for choosing which score you want to be reported. You can chose either one or all of them and the price would be the same.

Regarding the thread question, whether the Verbal is important or not really depends on the school policy and on how much weight they put on Verbal section.

Generally schools look at you application as a whole and it's really hard to say how that verbal impact your application alone.

Edited by Radian

^this is correct. I had misinterpreted the email I received from ETS since I only ever took the GRE once. In any case for engineering, quant is obviously more important...for a master's program, a 163/150 shouldn't keep you out, but it won't get you in. Then again, a 168/168 might not get you in either. it'll just come down to whether or not the rest of the app is good.

Here is the relevant portion of the email I got last july:

The new ScoreSelect option lets you decide which GRE scores from your reportable history to send to the institutions you designate. Now you can send the scores that you feel reflect your personal best.

Whether you plan to take the GRE revised General Test or a GRE Subject Test again — or simply wish to send Additional Score Reports to other institutions, you can take advantage of the ScoreSelect option.

Here's how it works:

On test day, when viewing your scores at the test center*, you can select the:

ScoreSelect

Most Recent
 option — Send your scores from your current test administration (FREE).

ScoreSelect

All
 option — Send your scores from all test administrations in the last five years (FREE).

You can decide which option to use for each of your four free score reports.

After test day, you can send Additional Score Reports for a fee by selecting from the following:

>>>
ScoreSelect

Most Recent
 option — Send your scores from your most recent test administration.

ScoreSelect

All
 option — Send your scores from all test administrations in the last five years.

ScoreSelect

Any
 option — Send your scores from one OR many test administrations in the last five years.

Scores for a test administration must be reported in their entirety. Regardless of whether you choose the Most Recent, All or Any option, you will select specific test administration dates so your scores are all from the same testing session.

Edited by foreverfree

• 3 weeks later...