Johns Hopkins (JHU) MS in Applied Economics?

miles2go

Does anyone have any thoughts about the JHU MS in Applied Economics? I've found very few posts/articles about it on the internet, but what I have found is mixed:

• Some describe it as a continuing education 'night school' with no admission standards and no real benefit. One person went so far as to say that his friend told him to remove it from his CV when applying to PhD programs.
  • Others describe it as a decently-respected program, with quality professors, and despite its "Advanced Academic Programs" moniker, it is housed within the respected Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, where the top-notch PhD program resides. In fact, if you go to the main Krieger website and scroll to "Programs --> Graduate Education (part-time)" it directs you to the AAP page.

So is it Johns Hopkins-quality or something else?

Let me summarize my interest in grad school so you can see where I am coming from:

• Career enhancement: I am already on a solid career track with a good job in the D.C. policy world.  But in D.C. a bachelor's degree might as well be a GED, so I need higher education to move forward. I am NOT striving to go to a consulting firm or enter a big $$ private-sector role.  I probably will not pursue a PhD, but if I do, it would be something like government or public policy, not econ. 
  • "Name brand school:" I went to a decent state school, but nothing great.  Adding a well-regarded school to my resume would be nice.
  • Beef up analytical skills: I majored in Poly Sci and had some analytical exposure (mostly micro/macro/poly sci stat), but in reality it was more on the politics/government/history side.  If I am going to spend tens-of-thousands of dollars on an education I want to push myself, not just waste time learning something I'm already accomplished at.

In sum: I am just looking for a program that will give me some analytical/economics chops, at a respected school, that won't be a black eye on my resume for future employment or a possible public policy-oriented PhD.

Does this program fit the bill?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I looked at it. It is really tailored towards people already working who want an extra degree to up themselves in the job market. In terms of working it for a PhD, it is an APPLIED program..you need something theoretical.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I graduated from this program last spring and I'm entering my PhD this fall.

Hopkins will give you some serious analytical economic “chops” as you would expect from the Krieger School. The MS program does have an alienated reputation online, but people working in academia, government, policy and finance inside the beltway know how exceptional the program is. Most of the more recent posts I could find were a better representation of what to expect. I admit, even I was skeptical of their standards because the publish requirements for admissions were low for a prestigious institution. However, an intern at my office (with a 3.7/4.0 from a good school) who we encouraged to apply was only conditionally accepted (we felt bad but she got into a PhD from her home’s state school) and other intern’s I’ve known with GPA’s around 3.2-3.4/4.0 were flat out rejected. So, the degree is not a "continuing education" program and should not be taken lightly.  

The Faculty is a Who’s Who list of DC econ/policy/think tank department heads looking to teach part-time because (a) they enjoy it and (B) they miss it after they took their job running the country. Hopkins probably has, on paper, the best faculty for a program like this in the world and they are great for job contacts if you are working in DC. The MS in Applied Economics was designed to fill the gap for analytical jobs well above the understanding of an undergrad. My friends in the program at SAIS have a similar job target but their emphasis is geared much more towards international policy and leadership.

The program is definitely tailored to working professional but It seemed that a lot of my classmates were using the program as a stopping point for pre-PhDs (mostly international) looking to get into a better school the second time around. It’s not a bad option if you land a good policy job in DC and want to get some real experience while you put off your PhD for a few years.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently in the program, and agree with everything Econguy said. I suppose a good way to think about an applied program such as this is to say that it isn’t a PhD program in the sense that it contains less theoretical math (and little to no independent research such as a dissertation would entail), and could be better equated to applied statistics (particularly if you take as many quant classes as possible). In the job market you may compete with an Econ PhD grad for some small proportion of jobs, but it is much more likely that you would compete with people with MPPs, MBAs, MS in finance, and Applied math/stats degrees, and if you take the right courses your quantitative skills will exceed all of those listed except for the math/stats guys.

In essence I would say it is an excellent program, but I would only apply to it if it conforms to what your career goals are.

One other option would be to, if accepted to the program, apply to PhD programs out of the masters. I have 1 or 2 friends that are doing that.

One other thing i totally forgot.  If you are interested in a PhD in Political Science or Public Policy/Admin/Affairs, this is the perfect program for you if you seek to get a masters first.

• 11 months later...

Hello all - I'm looking for some info on JHU's MA program in Government through their Advanced Academic Programs. Is it safe to compare its perception as described in this thread to the Applied Economics program? Could it also be used to, subsequently, move into a Ph.D. program or would it essentially be viewed as a throwaway degree? 

• 8 months later...

I graduated from this program last spring and I'm entering my PhD this fall.

Hopkins will give you some serious analytical economic “chops” as you would expect from the Krieger School. The MS program does have an alienated reputation online, but people working in academia, government, policy and finance inside the beltway know how exceptional the program is. Most of the more recent posts I could find were a better representation of what to expect. I admit, even I was skeptical of their standards because the publish requirements for admissions were low for a prestigious institution. However, an intern at my office (with a 3.7/4.0 from a good school) who we encouraged to apply was only conditionally accepted (we felt bad but she got into a PhD from her home’s state school) and other intern’s I’ve known with GPA’s around 3.2-3.4/4.0 were flat out rejected. So, the degree is not a "continuing education" program and should not be taken lightly.  

The Faculty is a Who’s Who list of DC econ/policy/think tank department heads looking to teach part-time because (a) they enjoy it and ( B) they miss it after they took their job running the country. Hopkins probably has, on paper, the best faculty for a program like this in the world and they are great for job contacts if you are working in DC. The MS in Applied Economics was designed to fill the gap for analytical jobs well above the understanding of an undergrad. My friends in the program at SAIS have a similar job target but their emphasis is geared much more towards international policy and leadership.

The program is definitely tailored to working professional but It seemed that a lot of my classmates were using the program as a stopping point for pre-PhDs (mostly international) looking to get into a better school the second time around. It’s not a bad option if you land a good policy job in DC and want to get some real experience while you put off your PhD for a few years.

@Econguy, can I ask what PhD program you are applied for/entering?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I was also wondering about this program as preparation for a PhD in Political Economy. My records are patchy from years ago ((over a decade) when I completed my first two years in college. My last two years completed I have a 3.9, completed an honors thesis, with a BA in PolSci and minor in Econ and math upto DiffEq, with only one B in Calc 3. I am looking to get more prepared for a PhD program in PolEcon at a top tier school. Also, I am not applying straight in PhD programs because I have a 21/2 year old so I would like to wait until she is in school more hours. I live in fl and unfortunately no close schools offer a Masters in Econ. Any advice?

• 5 months later...

This is a great program.  I wasn't a math or econ major so it helped me prepare and gain acceptance into a Phd in Financial Economics at a Top 10 school.  I am in the dissertation phase of my program after having taken all of my coursework.  I recieved credit for my work at Hopkins and the remaining courses were mostly a rehash of what Hopkins taught me.  Most people know what an exceptional program it is except for a few vocal internet know it alls.  While I was a student there, I recieved at a minimal 7-10 emails weekly from the director from companies and governmental organizations looking for JHU Applied Economics graduates specifically. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am in a similar position and am looking at this program. I have about ten years experience in (government) economic policy and financial governance but outside the United States. I am wanting to formalize my practical experience, develop my statistical skills and get a US qualification to help with job prospects in and around DC. I am interested in research (currently in a policy research role) and may want to do a PhD later on. I'm torn between this JHU programme, the JHU SAIS master of international economics and finance, and the MA Economics at American University. I do want to be in or near to DC, applied research is important to me, and I want to beef up my quant skills. Could anyone offer insights? I'd be incredibly grateful. How do other DC/NOVA/Marylanduniversities compare? I have good grades at undergrad and a decent GRE (170 V/162 quant) so while I doubt I'd get straight into a good Econ PhD program I hope I would make it into a master's. I have considered applying straight to PhD but was doubtful I would get a good offer without more quant on my CV. Thank you for any insights ...