Emergency !!

I quickly need some advice on how to start my SOP for masters in Biotechnology and management. The intro that i've written goes something like this..

With Research in Life Sciences and MBA seeming to be the only popular  options amongst the Graduate applicants in India, I aspire to pursue Masters in the field that is completely different and yet, brings together the essence of the two, i.e. MS in Biotechnology and Management.

Please tell me if it'll work. My intro has to be good

It won't.

They are receiving applications from Indian candidates in every possible discipline under the Sun - so With Research in Life Sciences and MBA seeming to be the only popular  options amongst the Graduate applicants in India doesn't work.

It is better to relate your proposed field of study to what you have done before and how it will help you in your future career.

thanks, I really appreciate your response. But you see, what I'm trying to bring out here is the fact that in India its either Research or MBA for most students. Its like the herd mentality(no offence intended). People go in mostly for these conventional and safe options. How do I write that I am different and not afraid to try something new ?

Why is it important to make this point in the first few lines of your sop? And, in fact, this first point should not be in your sop anyway. Write about why you want to study what you want to study and how you are prepared to be a good graduate student. Be specific, not broad.

Please read my comment above again.

I am trying to tell you that it is your wrong assumption that most Indian students go only for research in Life Sciences or for an MBA - in fact it's not true - they go for a whole lot of disciplines and not only for research or MBA.

And as pointed out above by Renwod90, it doesn't help to explain your cause of why you want to study what you want to study. 

It's a good idea to read some of the examples linked above by selecttext.

Perhaps a sentence highlighting how you came into Biotech-Management combination and how it relates to your past training would be better.

As for showing you are different, the combination of Biotech-Management itself is a unique combination. Here, you should explain why you want to study this combination and how it will help you in your future career, since it's a unique, interdisciplinary combination.

Instead of beginning with an erroneous assumption about what others are doing, it's better to focus on why you are doing what you are doing.

So, beginning with something like "Biotechnology and Management may appear as a unique combination, but...." would be more in order, but not as the opening sentence.

Saying you want to go for MS instead of research just to be different doesn't make sense.

Edited by Seeking