Visits?

I will bea a 2014 applicant, I am currently a linguistics masters student at an other school.  I have SOME background, I'll graduate with 18 ish graudate credits SLP (maybe more depending on where I go).  The 18 is based on the schools program I am currently at.  Anyways I have done my observing and am hoping I will be able to take clinical methodology in the fall (which would I am sure be an asset). 

My question is....what do you think of me, visiting schools next fall?  Do peoeple do that?? I have gotten mixed opinions so far so I thought I would ask here. 

By that point I would have applied (or be in the process of it) and just be waiting for offers- rejections. 

I know a lot of schools do interviews (or some have prospective student days) so I was just unsure as to if visiting earlier and talking to professors if possible would be an asset or not?

Yes, visit programs. Idk why people would say no (as long as you can afford it/take the time). It's best to go to a perspective student day (many are in the fall and don't include interviews), but if you can't make one try to arrange a visit on your own. It shows interest and initiative. Now, all that being said, you shouldn't feel the need to go totally crazy and see 20 schools, but visit your top 5(ish) if you can. 

Well they are saying i'd be like a number but I agree with you 100% and thanks I more just wanted confirmation that it was a good idea.....I think I am applying to 12 (including where I am now) and will visit 5, 6 if you include where I am now

Honestly you are kinda a number when you apply no matter what. Or at the very least (or most depending on how you see it) just a name on a piece of paper, at least initially.  A visit will put a face to that name. Just be sure to make an impression. Perspective visit days can be really big so make sure you ask questions and introduce yourself to the faculty during any meet and greets. I applied to 10 schools and visited 6 (7 if you count an official interview after I submitted my application/made it to the interview round). Of the 6 I visited I applied to 5 (I visited one school b/c it was close to another school I was seeing and on my long list. I ended up really disliking it for reasons I won't go into on a public forum and decided the application was not worth my time or $). Best of luck. Where are you thinking of applying? 

I visited a few schools - some were "formal" visits on the department visit days, and I was able to meet some professors and ask relevant questions along the way.  I also have visited some schools just to see the location, the campus (etc) - and that has also been very beneficial.  If you have the opportunity to visit all of the places you're applying (provided it's not more than 12), my suggestion is to do it.  When you get letters back, you'll have better ideas about what your first, second, etc choices are, as well as what each campus / school offers for pro and con comparison.  

Best of luck to you! 

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this thread because I'd like to hear more people's experiences. :) It seems that in the SLP field, lots of people visit schools or recommend visiting them before you get notified of acceptance (on this forum at least). Did people who applied this year (for fall 2014) visit their prospective schools? Did it affect your decisions on where to apply? Does it help on the application process, do you think? Did you visit during a scheduled prospective student day, or did you arrange with the department a special visit?

I'm planning on visiting quite a few of the schools I'd like to apply to, partly because a lot of them are only a day's trip away from where I will  be come fall and I'd like to see the areas and meet with the faculty to discuss the departments at them and some of my questions. Of course, I don't want to visit because I think it will help me get in (I question that), but if it helps to prove my interest in the university, that's a nice benefit! Mostly I can see no negatives of visiting other than cost.

I visited all my programs before I decided to apply. I also visited a couple programs and decided they weren't for me. During my visits, some (probably) didn't increase my chances of acceptance since I didn't interact with any faculty. However, for one school I met one-on-one with a student, another I was one-on-one with a professor. Whether it will help my admissions chances I don't know, but it definitely helped me learn more about the program and if I could see myself attending the program. Another big plus about visiting is that if you are applying to schools outside of your city/state, you can see what life is like in that new location. Definitely visit if you get the chance. It would suck to spend $50+ on an application and go through the awful process waiting to hear back from a school if it turns out you don't like the program and/or location anyway!

My profs always said to either go on a prospective students day if you want to meet faculty, or go on your own but don't expect to talk to faculty. They simply don't have time to meet individually with hundreds of applicants.

I haven't visited any schools yet... I think I will wait until I get accepted into a program. Some of my schools are so far away I don't have the money/time to visit even if I decide to attend (which is scary...).