2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

Haven't heard from the University of Texas at Austin. I applied for a PhD Philosophy? Some already got their acceptance. does it mean mine is a rejection?

Edited by vusheng

Haven't heard from the University of Texas at Austin. I applied for a PhD Philosophy? Some already got their acceptance. does it mean mine is a rejection?

I received an email from Sally Jackman about being near the top of the waitlist. So I think they have made decisions at this point.

It's not mine but I got the same email, just waiting for the phone call before I submit or celebrate anything.

Thank you for the information. I'm going to go with a congratulations (it seems like a very promising e-mail)! I really wanted Fordham, but I have a feeling it's looking grim. 

I don't know. I've seen first hand what kind of work these people do--know how we're all at our wits' end? Yeah, well multiply your anxiety by two hundred people. The guy at our office read me (anonymously, of course!) just a small sample of the kinds of e-mails they get every day: "Can you change my file?  What if this part of my application is late? Why do you still have a paper application; it's ridiculous! I only have two letters of recommendation--how will that hurt my chances?" 

Individually, these kinds of requests/questions/etc. wouldn't be a big deal. But those folks get hundreds and hundreds of those emails. When do you think you'll make a decision? Have you made a decision? Can you tell me your decision? 

So I understand why they said "shame on you"; you turned in your application--once it's in, you're locked and loaded. They know you might go to conferences and write interesting papers and meet interesting people between December and April--but for the sake of paperwork, what's done is done. 

I was a student rep for an admissions committee and fully understand. The change was an expulsion being removed by the university that issued it, and my emails came complete with documents and external contacts; I didn't even expect a reply. Little changes that likely barely matter (presentations or going to a weekend workshop, let's say) should be well be left off. Indeed, I may go so far as any changes made the student should be set aside, but come now! It's a major change, one that summarily discounts applicants in many departments, and the change was to my formal record by a University not myself. Indeed, from a legal standpoint, I do wrong in not reporting it. So, bullox on the time not being available to print out the new transcript and drop it in a folder. Indeed, any MAJOR change should be processed by a department. 

Does anyone have a sense of what the chances of wait-listers actually is?  I understand that there must be some differences in the length of wait lists by department, and of course there are the human variables of who actually decines offers or not.  But, in general, what is a typical wait-list size, and how many of those folks can expect to win an acceptance?  Any information that can shed light on the secret workings of wait-lists would be helpful.

So far I haven't been particularly excited about learning I'm on a waitlist.  I mean, before they told me anything I thought I might get into the program or I might not, and after they told me I was on the wait list, I am still in the position of "maybe getting in or maybe not getting in."  In fact, I find the additional tease-factor to be even more anxiety provoking.

(1) The downvote was an accident and I don't know how to fix it - so sorry!

(2) The best wait-lists in terms of those that see people off them getting accepted are those schools at the bottom of a bracket. I.E. People who applied to your wait-list program and better schools, and got accepted to them all (or more than just yours really) there is a good chance they will choose elsewhere and you will promote. Middle bracket school have this, but two a lesser extent. And top of a bracket schools are a long shot (save the top-top which are all aflutter with one another). Do note, by bracket I mean a nebulous band of quality and prestige that is often hard to pinpoint at least to first time applicants. 

I see a few Oxford acceptances. Naturally, it's a BPhil and DPhil program, and grad cafe doesn't have those as options. Some people specified BPhil, but no one has specified DPhil.

Does anyone know if DPhil decisions have been made? It looks from past years that they were on slightly different time tables, but it's hard to say.

I see a few Oxford acceptances. Naturally, it's a BPhil and DPhil program, and grad cafe doesn't have those as options. Some people specified BPhil, but no one has specified DPhil.

Does anyone know if DPhil decisions have been made? It looks from past years that they were on slightly different time tables, but it's hard to say.

According to posts on who got in, two of the posts were for the DPhil program.

I received my DPhil acceptance via e-mail on Saturday evening (UK time). However, someone I know received their acceptance on Sunday evening. So, all the e-mails don't seem to be going out at once.

Thanks folks! Not sure if I could persuade my family into moving to the UK anyway, but it's starting to look like Oxford's out of the picture too.

I only started coming here this past year so I have a question: is it normal for some schools to simply not get a lot of reported answers in the results search? Obviously it's not like everyone who applied or got admitted uses the website, I just find it strange that there's at least a handful of reported acceptances to some schools but only one or two (some time apart) from others. Is there any way to know whether some of these schools are just handing out responses slowly or whether it should be assumed that they've made their choices and most of the people who got accepted/waitlisted just don't use this place?

I think I just get a false sense of hope when I only see one or two responses from places like University of Chicago and Boston College and I'd like to get rid of it (if it is in fact false, that is).

Congratulations, recent posters! You've given me an empathetic hit of unwarranted optimism. 

Now, echoing the post above, I wish that whoever received the Villanova acceptance could share some information . . . 

Also - I'd love to hear from the other Temple admits. My email query about funding has gone unanswered for more than a week. It seems that in the past they've offered many unfunded positions. 

Temple's funding is sparse as they only have so many lines....which is why they make you wait to find out if they can offer you anything.  The best thing you can do is make sure they know you are really interested in the program, this will help your chances of getting funding. 

It's not mine but I got the same email, just waiting for the phone call before I submit or celebrate anything.

I'm guessing that it's safe for you to celebrate. Congratulations!

Thank you for the information. I'm going to go with a congratulations (it seems like a very promising e-mail)! I really wanted Fordham, but I have a feeling it's looking grim. 

Fordham will be the first program that I'll have a really hard time letting go of. For now, I'm going to choose denial, and hope to get wait-listed. 

Who else are you waiting to hear from? 

Fordham will be the first program that I'll have a really hard time letting go of. For now, I'm going to choose denial, and hope to get wait-listed. 

Who else are you waiting to hear from? 

I'm with you on Fordham. I'm from the NYC metropolitan area, and I love the program. Would be such an incredible fit for me. I'm hoping for the wait-list... Right now my list is, for the most part, done. I have a PhD acceptance (but I'm on a wait-list for funding, and judging by the DGS e-mail to me, it is looking kind of grim), a PhD wait-list (this too is looking kind of grim), two PhD rejections but considering me for their MA, and a bunch of flat out PhD rejections. The only schools I haven't heard any official word from are Fordham and Villanova. How about you?