2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

I'm with you on Fordham. I'm from the NYC metropolitan area, and I love the program. Would be such an incredible fit for me. I'm hoping for the wait-list... Right now my list is, for the most part, done. I have a PhD acceptance (but I'm on a wait-list for funding, and judging by the DGS e-mail to me, it is looking kind of grim), a PhD wait-list (this too is looking kind of grim), two PhD rejections but considering me for their MA, and a bunch of flat out PhD rejections. The only schools I haven't heard any official word from are Fordham and Villanova. How about you? 

We're in a similar situation!  

NYC might be my favorite place in the world, and Fordham's program seems perfect for me. 

I have one PhD acceptance (Temple), with, so far, no information about funding. I have definite rejections from DePaul, Loyola, and Oregon, and an almost certain implicit rejection from Stony Brook. I'm waiting on Fordham, Villanova, Duquesne, BU, and Hawaii. 

It looks fairly grim! 

I hope that something works out for us!

We're in a similar situation!  

NYC might be my favorite place in the world, and Fordham's program seems perfect for me. 

I have one PhD acceptance (Temple), with, so far, no information about funding. I have definite rejections from DePaul, Loyola, and Oregon, and an almost certain implicit rejection from Stony Brook. I'm waiting on Fordham, Villanova, Duquesne, BU, and Hawaii. 

It looks fairly grim! 

I hope that something works out for us!

Woah, yeah, we are in a very similar situation! NYC is my favorite place in the world too, and moving away from it is terrifying. I hope something works out for you as well!!! Fingers crossed for Fordham and co. 

At least you're in at Toronto! I'm waitlisted at Texas Austin, and in at another Canadian PhD program that is my absolute last resort. Columbia and Michigan are both perfect fits for me. Curse the GRE.

Take solace in the fact that you'll likely get a Texas offer. But I know the value of a bird in hand...

Take solace in the fact that you'll likely get a Texas offer. But I know the value of a bird in hand...

Thanks, I'm trying to do just that- and I'm working on forcing the "but I would live in Texas..." thoughts out of my head. I'm such a Canadian.

Ugh... 

So implied rejections from: Harvard, Yale, NYU, Oxford, and now Columbia? Life is bleak.

For Chrissakes, why don't they make it official and put me out of my misery?

Edited by napoleon314

Ugh... 

So implied rejections from: Harvard, Yale, NYU, Oxford, and now Columbia? Life is bleak.

For Chrissakes, why don't they make it official and put me out of my misery?

Did you apply to some safety schools?

So Boston College has not responded at all but I just checked my application status and, whereas it used to show no documents pending, it is now showing that I have my "Final Bachelors transcript" pending.

Thoughts?

Mine says the same thing. Hopefully it means something good but we probably shouldn't read too much into it.

Official rejection from Chicago just came through. Guess I don't get to go home.

Also, if I read the above correctly that I have seen nothing from Arizona means I'm not even on the waitlist, yes?

If so, I have a feeling its rejections all around accept my one acceptance and one waitlist (SASP not withstanding). I wonder what about me is so bloody unappealing...

Aquinas: if you look at the results from last year, it seems that arizona sent out an initial waitlist and then a month later emailed people about an extended waitlist (perhaps because they used up their whole initial list?) So while I expect that your chances of getting an offer from Arizona are not too high at this point, I wouldn't rule it out completely!

Swell. I find it strange that a Masters from St. Andrews (being highly ranked [swapping back and forth with Cambridge for #2 in the UK, and the most rigorous of the UK postgrad masters level degrees) didn't garner better results. While it would have hurt to do so, perhaps I ought have applied to Tufts' MA just for sake of a smaller but more likely step. 

Claim the UOregon Masters acceptance? What did they say? I was rejected from the PhD but am being considered for the Masters. Still haven't heard anything. Still would love an acceptance from them, even if it is for the Masters!

Did you apply to some safety schools?

I've got a full ride with $3k/month stipend at an economics PhD program. I'm not going to pass that up for a second-choice philosophy program. I was sure at least one would bite, though... alas.

Has anyone who received a wait list offer from Texas received any further information, like the number on the wait list, etc?

Has anyone who received a wait list offer from Texas received any further information, like the number on the wait list, etc?

No info about the number of people on the waitlist. Just a quick note letting me know I'm high on the waitlist, and a request that I let the department know if I'm still interested in the program at this point.