2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

Anyone else rethinking the schools they applied to? I wish I applied to Vanderbilt and Emory. And I super wish there was a way to apply late.

I wish I hadn't applied to a few schools where my chances were remarkably low (e.g. USC, MIT). I also wish I had applied to UConn and maybe UC Davis. 

Anyone else rethinking the schools they applied to? I wish I applied to Vanderbilt and Emory. And I super wish there was a way to apply late.

I wish I would have applied to Temple and Guelph. Removing Northwestern and Georgetown for my second round for sure.

I'm pretty happy with where I applied. My rejection/waitlist/acceptance situation is ordered exactly by Leiter Rankings. I am accepted to some "safety" schools, waitlisted at some mid range (below top 20) schools, and have all definite rejections and one implied Rutgers rejection from the top 20. There is no school that I wish I had applied to that I feel I could have gotten into, and I'm glad I gave the top schools a shot, since I really only get to do this once in life. Given that this was, according to the adcomms, a year with (a more applicents (b better applicants, and many places (c fewer available spots, I can't feel bad about this. Now it's time to hit the publish or perish hamster wheel as all of us will be competing for the few tenure jobs left.

Edited by BernardJOrtcutt

I'm pretty happy with where I applied. My rejection/waitlist/acceptance situation is ordered exactly by Leiter Rankings. I am accepted to some "safety" schools, waitlisted at some mid range (below top 20) schools, and have all definite rejections and one implied Rutgers rejection from the top 20. There is no school that I wish I had applied to that I feel I could have gotten into, and I'm glad I gave the top schools a shot, since I really only get to do this once in life. Given that this was, according to the adcomms, a year with (a more applicents (b better applicants, and many places (c fewer available spots, I can't feel bad about this. Now it's time to hit the publish or perish hamster wheel as all of us will be competing for the few tenure jobs left.

Doing it only once in a lifetime would have been a dream! This is round three for me and though I have one acceptance, one wait-list, and three with no word or even implied word, (thus meaning there actually was more 'success' this time around) I still might end up going for round four!

As to some earlier comments, I wish I could have substantially changed my strategy once I began to realise my folly  The only top school I would have tried would have been Princeton due to my recommenders and vain hopes, and Michigan for fit. Besides that, I would have hit the middle range much more heavily, focused on schools that have funded MA consolation programs, put in some applications to high-up MA programs, and been much more agressive in applying throughout the UK (in Philosophy, Law, and Government, because the discipline barriers are much lower there especially at the PhD level so one can do that). If it comes to a round four, so it shall be. 

University Of Virginia Philosophy, PhD (F13) Accepted via E-mail on 8 Mar 2013 A 8 Mar 2013

•  
  • So excited!

Would anyone be willing claim this? Moving off the wait-list here is something constantly on my mind and I wonder if that is what this person just did. 

I'm a bit confused on why I can find no FSU listings in our survey, nor our forum, yet the Georgia State MA placement page says one of their students got in this year...

EDIT: I lie, there is one, and only one, notation, which is a single acceptance on 6 February. 

Edited by AquinasDuo

Yep- at least one school appreciates it!

a good one at that. would you mind sharing your AOI again? and maybe any details from the offer?

Edited by anon530

Moral, social, and political philosophy- and in particular, resentment/forgiveness in political contexts. Charles Griswold would be a perfect supervisor for me.

Details:

Enthusiastic and lengthy email from Walter Hopp saying that they are "very eager" to have me join the department. Included funding information- 5 full years of financial support. No info on number of admitted students or number of applicants.

Good luck!

Boston U is the last school I have to hear from.  Nothing in my inbox yet.  I guess that means an implied rejection unless Hopp's fingers were just feeling tired for the night!

Grats to the others.

(I still have other acceptances so this is ok.  Now time to e-mail the 500 people at every accepted department that I want to talk to, while trying to plan visits between universities.  Blargh!)

On the topic of visits....

Are others visiting the schools they have been accepted to?

On one hand, the common advice seems to be that visiting departments is the best thing to do.

On the other hand, I really don't care about the location of my school or what the campus is like or anything.  I just want to know that my POI's are not fleeing for another department in the next few years, and that they don't have extremely difficult temperments--the sort of info that I think I could gather through telephone conversations.

Do I really need to spend a week flying across the country to make my final decision?

When did you receive the e-mail, just now?  Are these still going out tonight?  Gah!

I got it at 7:30. It seemed like a personal email, though it may very well have been a well-written form letter with my name on top. No idea if they're still sending them out. 

If anyone else got waitlisted, I'd be eager to hear what your impression was of the email. Mine seemed positive about possibly getting a real offer. 

I should also add that Dr. Hopp mentioned there were 204 applicants and they want to admit six students this fall.

Their website says they are admit roughly 9 PhD students (if I recall correctly... I guess I could check, but well, here we are). Does it look to others like schools are cutting down on how many students they accept? If so, this would be good for the job market.

What are people's thoughts on reducing time on a PhD if you already have an MA.  One of the programs to which I am admitted says that you can enter as a second year student (which would mean I lose a year of fellowship and no teaching).  However, I read in a lot of places that rushing into the market may prove harmful, and graduates should take their time.

I know it's a personal issue with a lot of complicating factors, but I'm curious to hear other opinions on the matter.