2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

I got no admissions but just waitlisted at UW-Milwaukee, Georgia State, and Virginia Tech. So frustrated. 

I was on the second waitlist for UW-Milwaukee and ended up getting in with full funding on April 15th, so hold on to some hope!

I was on the second waitlist for UW-Milwaukee and ended up getting in with full funding on April 15th, so hold on to some hope!

Thanks for hopeful response! But what does mean "the second waitlist"? Does this mean that you got second rank on the waitlist? They even did not inform me where my place is on the waitlist..

Thanks for hopeful response! But what does mean "the second waitlist"? Does this mean that you got second rank on the waitlist? They even did not inform me where my place is on the waitlist..

No, I was on the "waitlist for the waitlist" according to my first call, which I had dismissed as a near certain rejection.  I was planning on attending another MA program but got the call early on the 15th that I was accepted.

Vanderbilt rejection posted? Does anyone know whether that was solicited and/or if it was a full rejection or like the other news we've heard?

I have received no email either. Perhaps they're sending out the "definite rejections" and leaving a pool of applications in a "waitlist for the waitlist" gray zone.

I have received no email either. Perhaps they're sending out the "definite rejections" and leaving a pool of applications in a "waitlist for the waitlist" gray zone.

I can't decide if that's better or worse.

Hey everyone- I was notified a few weeks ago that I am "high on the waitlist" at UT Austin. The last email I received was on March 14th just making sure that I haven't accepted another offer and that things are developing quickly on their end. But I just received the automated email with everyone else to check the website and my status says "Denied." 

Is it normal to be wait listed and then rejected by the website? I'm taken aback, since the email I received just a few days ago was enthusiastic and promising. This is a super disappointing way to be rejected from a wait list.

Hey everyone- I was notified a few weeks ago that I am "high on the waitlist" at UT Austin. The last email I received was on March 14th just making sure that I haven't accepted another offer and that things are developing quickly on their end. But I just received the automated email with everyone else to check the website and my status says "Denied." 

Is it normal to be wait listed and then rejected by the website? I'm taken aback, since the email I received just a few days ago was enthusiastic and promising. This is a super disappointing way to be rejected from a wait list.

To add to the oddity of your situation, I applied to Austin, was not accepted or waitlisted, and do not have any new notifications on my status page. Also, I emailed Sally Jackman a few days ago and have yet to get a reply. I'm assuming you've emailed someone about this, but considering I haven't gotten a reply I'm not sure how successful you'll be in getting a speedy response.

That's so weird. I have been lucky to receive timely responses, but perhaps it's because I was on the official waitlist. I wonder if grad coordinators sift through emails and open ones from names they recognize, then address others later. I just emailed as a "reply" to the last email I received (explained above) asking her to confirm my rejection.

This process is really, really stressful. I'm ready to turn down offers and go to law school (just kidding- kind of).

That's so weird. I have been lucky to receive timely responses, but perhaps it's because I was on the official waitlist. I wonder if grad coordinators sift through emails and open ones from names they recognize, then address others later. I just emailed as a "reply" to the last email I received (explained above) asking her to confirm my rejection. This process is really, really stressful. I'm ready to turn down offers and go to law school (just kidding- kind of).
Interesting. I am also on the short list and received the March 14 email. My application status still says in review. I doubt that's helpful information though. I'm curious to hear an update.

Whom should I e-mail at CUNY if I want to solicit them for a response on my application? I've seen things on the results page about getting contacts from Stephen Neale, but I want to be sure whom I should contact...

Stephen Neale is the Director of Admissions.

So, after not getting into CUNY's PhD program, I just received a letter in the mail inviting me to do their MA program.  At this point I have other solid offers in reputable PhD programs, so this isn't something I'm considering.  That said, I'm wondering why I was offered a place in the MA program and not waitlisted for the PhD program.  Does this mean that at some point I was on some sort of a waitlist, or that they immedaitely put my application in that pile?  This whole process is such a mystery to me.  Any ideas?

Hey, guys.

This is my first time posting. Sorry if I am not posting in the right area. I will be applying to grad schools next year, and I am reading through this thread to get a good grip on what I'll be going through. I am currently an undergrad in Canada. My dream is to go to Oxford. Currently, I have a 3.89 GPA and expect to keep it exactly where it is. Assuming I do so, and also assuming I produce a writing sample that is good (let's say, it isn't stand-out but it isn't deficient) -- what do you think my chances are? I am very anxious. 

Thanks!

Hey, guys.

This is my first time posting. Sorry if I am not posting in the right area. I will be applying to grad schools next year, and I am reading through this thread to get a good grip on what I'll be going through. I am currently an undergrad in Canada. My dream is to go to Oxford. Currently, I have a 3.89 GPA and expect to keep it exactly where it is. Assuming I do so, and also assuming I produce a writing sample that is good (let's say, it isn't stand-out but it isn't deficient) -- what do you think my chances are? I am very anxious. 

Thanks!

You need an absolutely stand out writing sample to get into Oxford.  Not trying to be discouraging, but realistically, they are one of the top programs in the world and every part of an application has to be stellar. That's not to say that your chances are nil, but your writing sample should be top notch to maximize your chances.

You need an absolutely stand out writing sample to get into Oxford.  Not trying to be discouraging, but realistically, they are one of the top programs in the world and every part of an application has to be stellar. That's not to say that your chances are nil, but your writing sample should be top notch to maximize your chances.

Ok, thanks a lot. That was a really good response :)

I appreciate it. I intend on giving it my all, I just doubt my ability to write a sufficiently good sample.

Ok, thanks a lot. That was a really good response :)

I appreciate it. I intend on giving it my all, I just doubt my ability to write a sufficiently good sample.

Honestly, if you haven't started writing your writing sample yet, start NOW. You need as many editing and revising cycles as possible. I didn't do it that way and think I would have gotten in some schools that I didn't get in if I did it that way. If I reapplied, that would be the one thing I would do differently this time around.

Can anyone who's been rejected from Columbia tell me whether their application on the GSAS website still says "submitted"? I applied, and am expecting rejection, but I haven't heard anything, while it seems they've accepted, waitlisted, and rejected many. Thanks.

Edited by bakedalaska

2014 Applicant

I applied to M.A. philosophy programs last year to 4 schools and they were all rejects. I am looking to reapply for fall 2014. i'm going to retake the gre but only to get a better verbal score; my math was fine and i heard you can take your highest scores from different tests now if you took it within the last five years. i'm revising my writing sample and sop in addition to getting a third philosophy professor to recommend me (i only had 2 philosophy recommendations and 1 english recommendation last time). i might also consider having my new boss write something for me as i now work at a law firm. but what i really need help with is picking schools with good ethics and moral philosophy programs (esp. ones that are safety schools that take more than 1-2 people).

last time i applied to western michigan, mi state, colorado state, and bowling green. that was a mistake because that's far too few schools. this time i'm going to apply to 10-20 schools and pray one of them takes me.

i think i might reapply to michigan state and western since they are located in-state and also bowling green. i added wayne state even though it's not my first choice, miami uni in ohio, and university of minnesota. i would've added uni of michigan to the list of places to apply if their M.A. program offered funding since i studied as an undergrad there. i'd like to apply to princeton and brown as well but even though i have relatives who were alumni of the schools, i'm not sure my chances are that great. my gpa in my major which was philosophy was 3.2, but my overall was below a 3.0 due to pursuing another major prior to philosophy that i hated and wasn't very good at apparently. this is also the reason i chose to apply to M.A. programs v. PhD programs. i figured my switching majors during my last year and the gpa would go against me getting into any quality PhD programs. 

any advice as to how to pick good schools specializing in ethics and moral philosophy for M.A. programs would be appreciated. thank you.

Are you intending to pursue a PhD after the MA?  If so, you will want to look at which programs you are applying to.  For instance, Minnesota explicitly states that their MA program is not for PhD prep. 

I would look first only at programs that provide funding and focus on placement.  I know Northern Illinois,  WMU, Houston, Georgia State, VT, and Milwaukee all offer full funding to many of their acceptances and focus on placing into PhDs.  Of course, there are many others, but those are the ones I know of off hand.

That said, area of interest is less important for your MA considerations.  You will be taking a couple years of coursework and writing a short paper.  Obviously you want some people who do what you do, but overall focusing on placement and funding is more important.

By the way, I went to Michigan undergrad too, Go Blue!

2014 Applicant

I applied to M.A. philosophy programs last year to 4 schools and they were all rejects. I am looking to reapply for fall 2014. i'm going to retake the gre but only to get a better verbal score; my math was fine and i heard you can take your highest scores from different tests now if you took it within the last five years. i'm revising my writing sample and sop in addition to getting a third philosophy professor to recommend me (i only had 2 philosophy recommendations and 1 english recommendation last time). i might also consider having my new boss write something for me as i now work at a law firm. but what i really need help with is picking schools with good ethics and moral philosophy programs (esp. ones that are safety schools that take more than 1-2 people).

last time i applied to western michigan, mi state, colorado state, and bowling green. that was a mistake because that's far too few schools. this time i'm going to apply to 10-20 schools and pray one of them takes me.

i think i might reapply to michigan state and western since they are located in-state and also bowling green. i added wayne state even though it's not my first choice, miami uni in ohio, and university of minnesota. i would've added uni of michigan to the list of places to apply if their M.A. program offered funding since i studied as an undergrad there. i'd like to apply to princeton and brown as well but even though i have relatives who were alumni of the schools, i'm not sure my chances are that great. my gpa in my major which was philosophy was 3.2, but my overall was below a 3.0 due to pursuing another major prior to philosophy that i hated and wasn't very good at apparently. this is also the reason i chose to apply to M.A. programs v. PhD programs. i figured my switching majors during my last year and the gpa would go against me getting into any quality PhD programs. 

any advice as to how to pick good schools specializing in ethics and moral philosophy for M.A. programs would be appreciated. thank you.

Edited by MKEPhil