Penn GSE

HigherEd2013

Another plus for Penn, the American Educational Research Association's annual meeting:

Thursday, April 3 - Monday, April 7
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I just checked my status and I GOT IN for the Higher Ed program WITH a scholarship! I didn't even get the email yet but I figured it didn't hurt to try checking my application. All my application materials were completed 1/30 for those who may be waiting and curious about the turnaround time. I'm still waiting for HGSE like everyone else but I am MORE than happy with PENN!

I just checked my status and I GOT IN for the Higher Ed program WITH a scholarship! I didn't even get the email yet but I figured it didn't hurt to try checking my application. All my application materials were completed 1/30 for those who may be waiting and curious about the turnaround time. I'm still waiting for HGSE like everyone else but I am MORE than happy with PENN!

Congratulations!!!! Penn has amazing programs!

Hey M26 - yeah, that was me.  I just went with a button down shirt, a sports coat and chinos.  I came to the city last night (stayed with a friend) and, of course, I forgot to pack my shoes, so I'm wearing my hiking boots - makes for a unique ensemble.   :)

Just officially accepted my Ph.D offer from Penn. Very excited. After the interview weekend, it immediately became my top choice. It's definitely smaller than most GSEs, and because of that, it seems like there is an incredible amount of flexibility in the programs and support from the faculty. It's also clear that the school embraces creative adaptation - not only do they encourage Ph.D. students to take courses in other concentrations and schools but they also regularly develop new programs and concentrations to fit with the needs of research in the field. Also, my focus has a lot of overlap with communication and media studies, so the prospect of taking classes at Annenberg (the #1 comm school in the country) is also a huge incentive. The current students were welcoming; the professors were incredibly supportive; and their scholarship package is incredible (full tuition, insurance, and a stipend that is generous enough that I will be able to cover living expenses and still put aside a fair amount for paying down debt and building up savings).

Looking forward to meeting some of you there!

Just officially accepted my Ph.D offer from Penn. Very excited. After the interview weekend, it immediately became my top choice. It's definitely smaller than most GSEs, and because of that, it seems like there is an incredible amount of flexibility in the programs and support from the faculty. It's also clear that the school embraces creative adaptation - not only do they encourage Ph.D. students to take courses in other concentrations and schools but they also regularly develop new programs and concentrations to fit with the needs of research in the field. Also, my focus has a lot of overlap with communication and media studies, so the prospect of taking classes at Annenberg (the #1 comm school in the country) is also a huge incentive. The current students were welcoming; the professors were incredibly supportive; and their scholarship package is incredible (full tuition, insurance, and a stipend that is generous enough that I will be able to cover living expenses and still put aside a fair amount for paying down debt and building up savings).

Looking forward to meeting some of you there!

Awesome, I'm excited to go visit March 24-26 since I haven't been yet.  What are you getting your Ph.D in?  I think Penn is my first choice but waiting for the visit before I officially commit.

I just got my financial aid letter from TC. Has anybody received any financial aid information from Penn? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

Hi emvtgse, I also received my TC aid info and also waiting on Penn. I'm trying to make a final decision between the two. They're both amazing schools and their IED programs are pretty similar, so my decision might come down to the money.

After reviewing their financial aid page, I can't tell if they give the information after you accept but then that doesn't seem right. I'm going to call the office tomorrow to check. Are you leaning to one over the other? I'm definitely leaning towards Penn and hoping the financial aid would prove my point.

Right now I am leaning towards TC, but I'm definitely still on the fence. When I see Penn's package, I think I will be in a better position to make an informed decision.

I don't know how it is for your programs, but I got into Penn GSE's education policy and smart masters programs. I met with someone from financial aid last week. She said that they only award merit scholarships which are announced in the admissions decision letters. The "financial aid package" that you get after you matriculate will just go over the loans. Work study is first come first serve.

Higher Ed has a paid GAship - a paid 20 hour a week job in higher Ed. Not sure if this is considered part of the "financial aid package" or just extra spending money.

I just spoke with Student Financial Services and they wait on information from GSE.  It looks like GSE has not provided any information yet (unless maybe if you have already accepted) to SFS so no award letters have been created.  I am waiting on a message from the Office of Financial Services so I can confirm they have received my FAFSA and to get a better timeline.  SFS said award letters should come out the week of April 15th.  I mentioned that I wanted to compare with another school and they just said to go back to GSE.  It sounds like DNguyen knows what's up.

Looking forward to meeting fellow Higher Ed admits on Sunday :)