Pre-applying Question: Raising GPA or Research?

fardad89

First of all, although I've been reading this forum for a while, this is my first post so if I'm asking my question in a wrong place I apologize...

I'm a EE junior at UMD with a 3.3 GPA and no research [yet]. I'm applying for REUs for this summer to add a research to my resume, and since I've been constantly getting A's since last year I'm optimistic to raise my GPA as well before applying to a top graduate school for my Masters.
This morning I talked to one of my professors and he suggested I can work on an individual research project this semester, in which case, assuming I keep getting A's, my GPA would go up to 3.54 (by this summer when I apply).
If I don't work on a project this semester I would have the option of retaking Physics 2 (which I got a C+ in during my first semester), and according to my school's policy, my grade would replace my initial grade, and I would get 3.66 GPA by summer.
So my question boils down to this:
3.54 GPA + 2 Research Projects vs. 3.66 GPA + 1 Research Project
I've to decide by the beginning of next week, so I'd greatly appreciate your opinion.

And again if I made a mistake of asking this question in a wrong place, sorry :)

Wouldn't haven't a C hurt though? Because I heard most schools want to see A's and B's

I had a C+ in my first semester, and B-'s and B's all over the place. If you're record shows that your grades are continuously improving, that's good enough. 

Research, research, research!!

OK, I'd almost always say research way over anything else, but the OPer is applying to an ME program.

Engineering masters are a case where research is relatively less important than many other fields, and more weight than usual is actually put on grades. Research is still necessary and a bit more important, but really you need good grades and GREs too--engineering masters candidates need to look all around good. Even better would be some work experience, since an ME is really much more like a professional degree (by which I mean applicants are typically older, have job experience, and often pay part or all of their tuition or receive minimal stipends).

Edited by Usmivka

OK, I'd almost always say research way over anything else, but the OPer is applying to an ME program.

I am actually hoping to get into a M.S. program with funding. I'm not sure if I want to go for a PhD yet, but I'd like to have the option. And since I heard research experience is more helpful in getting accepted in compare to internship, I decided to go for a REU this summer.

If I had to choose a student as a grad student in a research-focused program, especially if I had to pay them as an RA, I would rather take a student with a 3.54 and two research projects than a student with a 3.66 and 1 research project.

There's really not all that much difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6, honestly.