What's your area of academic interest?

Yetanotherdegree

I'm new here but I hope to post occasionally. Just wondering who else is here. What's your academic area? General focus of research?

I'm trying to fine-tune a research proposal and I seem to land somewhere between history and theology. I've done a bit of work on the topic of sacred space in the writings of the Cappadocians. I know, exciting stuff :)

You?

On the topic of sacred space and to even include monasticism/asceticism - where would you suggest prospective students to study such a field? Belden Lane at SLU is obviously good for sacred space.

I know WMU has something going on with monasticism in their Medieval Studies department and St. John's has an MA in Theology concentrated in Monastic Studies but I know nothing of the reputation of either school. Obviously depending on what exactly you're interested in studying, you could go historical, theological, or even sociological in your approach so really just general input would be helpful.

Balatro: I think St. Johns would be great honestly. Although it doesn't seem to have a lot of name recognition, I was assured by one of my professors that its pretty well known in Europe among scholars. I mean, if you want to study monasticism why not do it at a monastery? 

Otherwise, SLU is good because of Beldon Lane, who wrote one of the foundational books on Sacred Space. I'm pretty sure he's at Durham now, but I know that Philip Sheldrake (author of "Spaces for the Sacred") has done summer courses at Boston College, including this past Summer I believe.