MFA Photography - post your results

glittergrill

Accepted to RIT via phone!!!! I was offered scholarship + assistantship, but not sure if it will be enough, as there program is pricey. It's a tough decision because RIT is my number one choice...I really, really, really want to go there...they have everything I'm looking for. Prior to hearing back from RIT, I told SAIC that I was interested in the BFA as prior degree student, pending funding. I just received an email last night that my award letter has been mailed. It probably won't be much, and that of course will make my decision much easier, but if for some reason it's decent, it might be tempting to attend there for a year, reapply to mfa programs for next year and maybe get in somewhere with more funding. I don't know...do I worry about money or do I attend the school I really want to? What are your thoughts on this? 

And congrats orangephotog1!!!! Are you going to accept?

Edited by meanabelle

Accepted to the Glasgow School of Art today via email

I thought I had decided on the Royal College of Art but I am beginning to consider going to the GSA as tuition costs are half the price. Does anyone have any advice or information on which school has a better reputation? I feel like the RCA might be an obvious choice but im starting to have some doubts. Any perspective is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Accepted to RIT via phone!!!! I was offered scholarship + assistantship, but not sure if it will be enough, as there program is pricey. It's a tough decision because RIT is my number one choice...I really, really, really want to go there...they have everything I'm looking for. Prior to hearing back from RIT, I told SAIC that I was interested in the BFA as prior degree student, pending funding. I just received an email last night that my award letter has been mailed. It probably won't be much, and that of course will make my decision much easier, but if for some reason it's decent, it might be tempting to attend there for a year, reapply to mfa programs for next year and maybe get in somewhere with more funding. I don't know...do I worry about money or do I attend the school I really want to? What are your thoughts on this? 

hi meanabelle,

first of all many CONGRATS!! :) I also responded to SAIC's BFA as prior degree student - but I don't think I am going to go regardless their offer, I really like calarts and I was on campus to interview. I like the current students and faculty - so I think I am more inclined to go to calarts. I haven't heard back about financial aid though. I would say, that you should definitely attend the school that you want to especially if it's your dream school! :) I think that an opportunity like that might not come by again and money can always be earned back. but it's your choice and I wish you all the best, RIT is a great school! :)

meanabelle, on 21 Mar 2013 - 14:11, said:snapback.png

So, I'm also in the same boat. I'm wondering has anybody asked the schools for more funding? I feel like it's not out of line to at least ask them nicely if they could squeeze out a few more shillings. Am I wrong? thoughts?

hey,

thanks! I am not sure yet, I am still waiting to hear back about funding! :)

Accepted to the Glasgow School of Art today via email

I thought I had decided on the Royal College of Art but I am beginning to consider going to the GSA as tuition costs are half the price. Does anyone have any advice or information on which school has a better reputation? I feel like the RCA might be an obvious choice but im starting to have some doubts. Any perspective is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Congrats on RCA and GSA. I looked very seriously at GSA (for painting) because it's a great school with a ton of great alumni (in all disciplines) coming out of it. I ended up not applying there because the US gov decided GSA no longer met the requirements that would allow me to get loans to attend. It looks like you're in Canada and might have a different situation, but thought you might want to be aware.

http://glasgowguardian.co.uk/2012/10/24/gsa-discredited-us-government/

So, I'm also in the same boat. I'm wondering has anybody asked the schools for more funding? I feel like it's not out of line to at least ask them nicely if they could squeeze out a few more shillings. Am I wrong? thoughts?

If you feel comfortable, I'd totally ask. If they don't give you more, are you still going to accept or not sure yet?

I change my mind every hour. I want to just say the hell with money and do it, but my practical side is not allowing this. I applied to a bunch of graduate assistantships on campus because I definitely can't go without having a part-time job to cover some expenses. One assistantship I applied for offers free housing and partial meals, so if I get that then I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept.

Meh. I applied to MassArt because there's one photographer there I really, really like (I know him), and because, let's face it, it's one of the less expensive options and it's in Boston, close to friends and family, which is a huge consideration for me. That's about it, though.

I can't speak to the other departments, but I have an insider perspective of the photo program. It's a homogenous community, with absolutely no diversity at all. Most of the first year students are white, middle-class, straight men. Most of the work I've seen from the grad students, with a few notable exceptions, is flat out boring, still lifes or landscapes, technically correct (there's a huge emphasis on "the right way" for photographs to look), but not intellectually strong or emotionally evocative in any way. I've seen a lot of work there, and it's not impressive. I think it's reflective of the general bent of the program, which is very conservative, staid, and stilted. Nick Nixon is there, and a real character, and very talented, but he isn't a part of the admissions process, and works for the most part with undergraduates.

There's very little theory taught there, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, I realize, but for me it's important. I haven't witnessed much exchange of ideas or passion for art, although a lot of people there seem to think they're smarter than they are, and are very vocal about their opinions in class, effectively monopolizing time speaking and drowning out other students' voices; what I mean by this is that I have seen students act as though they were in fact professors, and had one even remark to me during my interview that, as second year students, they would be my "superiors". (As a side note, I asked what the first years liked most about the program, and one responded, as though it were funny, "all the men." I'm a woman, btw.) This might not be surprising, however, since graduate students are allowed to vote on applicants' work. They have a big role in choosing who is interviewed. They see and literally vote on everyone's work. I'm not sure how much input they have in the final admissions decisions, but my guess would be that they do have more say than they rightly should. So whether you are offered a position or not may have a lot to do with whether or not they want to hang out with you, and the kind of feedback they give on your interview.

The program is directed by Laura McPhee, who has a strong preference for work like her own (and is very clear about what she does not like). She's phlegmatic in general, though, so I don't doubt that people had unpleasant interviews or found her hard to read. Abe Morell, however, is genuinely insightful and seems upbeat and funny. But depending on who is reviewing your work, you might receive input that will help you grow, or you might merely receive someone's personal opinion. I think personal opinions are important, and of course feedback is personal, but I need more justification than that, whether someone likes or does not like my work.

I've met few successful graduates from the program, but, then, everyone's definition of success is different. However, I cannot name one (MFA) graduate who had a unique and interesting enough style to go on to do "big things." I don't doubt that that's because individuality is frowned upon in favor of toeing the line and technical accuracy. And that won't get you very far. The other aspect I have experienced, which seems jarring, is a total and utter lack of organization. Professors literally forget what they have planned in the syllabi. I will say that my letter is dated March 6, and I assume a decision was made well before that. I'm not sure if they simply did not get around to sending it, or if they thought it would be better to make me wait. They are both too disorganized and too formal for me to know what the case may be. But there is something to be said for treating people well, even applicants to your program! (You'll find that there are many administrators there who either give wildly inaccurate information in response to a question or simply do not respond at all.)

The level of discourse in classes I've attended has been....OK. That's about as much as I can say. Not outstanding. Certainly not horrible. But just average. The breadth and depth of classes on offer is also....OK. If you know exactly what you want to do, and you only want to do that one thing (say, 4 x 5 landscapes, for example, indefinitely), then you'd be happy with the program. If you're looking to experiment or want to take a lot of theory or art history classes in addition to your studio work, then you'll find their offerings to be....OK.

I realize it's not a glowing review. Unfortunately, for me, money is a big issue, and the priority I place on being near friends and family is perhaps too high. But I don't love MassArt, and they don't love me. It's all right, though, because I've been accepted to much better programs (both better-suited and better ranked, make of that what you will). So I would say that you should take this MassArt estimation of your work much the way I do: with a big grain of salt.

Yah, I don't have any insider information except what I able to gather during their open house and at this interview. But, for the most part I think your review was pretty much spot on. Their program is pretty straight forward, again no pun intended. Ive noticed the students this programs tends to produce work that clearly emulates the professors' work, which I think is how we all learn in the beginnning, but eventually we need to find our own voice. I mean this is grad level and I didn't go to an art school, so I guess there is a lot I don't know. But I think it is important to find a program that will help people become themselves not make copies of the professors. I'm not intending this to be insulting at all, but I think part of the reason I'm on the wait list is because I expressed clear desire to become my own person, which may have not been in my best interests. Or maybe I'm glad because maybe Mass art isn't the best fit for me. That's interesting that you noticed the program is dominated by white men, I noticed this too.

Ya, I think money is a big concern for most of us, I'm not excited about going into a ton of debt. I guess if I have to incur the expese it could be worth it if I find a good place to go. or if a good place accepts me haha is more like it. But, i will have to wait another week to get my last two letters. Just gotta keep my chin up and soldier on.

I feel so much better now that I was denied from here. I do a lot of conceptual non straightforward work. I admired Abe Morell and their alt process courses...but seeing these insider opinions really helps.

CCA folks, has anyone received a good financial aid package? i thought this school had some money to spare? considering asking them if they can offer a bit more......

I haven't gotten mine yet. Oh gosh...I'm nervous now I didn't get enough funding..did they give you any merit?

Edited by Britt0131

I guess that's their standard package. Definitely can't attend.

Possibly. I applied because I felt they advertised they provided a lot more funding... $18,000-36,000. But maybe only a couple get those big amounts? Did you get in elsewhere? Ps- don't you love how they invited us with less then a weeks notice to this admitted MFA graduate event on Sunday?

Possibly. I applied because I felt they advertised they provided a lot more funding... $18,000-36,000. But maybe only a couple get those big amounts? Did you get in elsewhere? Ps- don't you love how they invited us with less then a weeks notice to this admitted MFA graduate event on Sunday?

Yeah, me too. I definitely felt like they had funding to spare. Their website mentions merit- and need-based awards, and also diversity awards. I definitely didn't expect to receive so little in the way of funding. I applied in large part because I really like the school and I really thought it would be possible for me to attend. I ruled out other schools, like SAIC or CalArts, based on their lack of funding. If you look at the merit-based scholarships at CCA, there are none specifically for photography, while there are named scholarships for other media. Maybe I should have discovered this and asked about it before applying. I think the only awards we would qualify for are the "open" ones. 

I'm not going to the graduate event, as I'm not attending the school. I did get in to other programs, but they're expensive, too, and the one I really want to go to is UIC, where I'm wait listed. So we'll see. All things considered, I probably have to go to a state school. I'm not comfortable with the debt these private schools think we should be so willing to assume. Columbia College, by comparison, is cheap (tuition at 20K), but when you tack on living expenses and three years of study (with hardly any scholarship opportunities), it's about the same amount of debt overall.....I'm still considering it as an option, maybe with the intention of transferring out the first year. But I just don't know. It's very disappointing. 

Yeah, me too. I definitely felt like they had funding to spare. Their website mentions merit- and need-based awards, and also diversity awards. I definitely didn't expect to receive so little in the way of funding. I applied in large part because I really like the school and I really thought it would be possible for me to attend. I ruled out other schools, like SAIC or CalArts, based on their lack of funding. If you look at the merit-based scholarships at CCA, there are none specifically for photography, while there are named scholarships for other media. Maybe I should have discovered this and asked about it before applying. I think the only awards we would qualify for are the "open" ones.

I'm not going to the graduate event, as I'm not attending the school. I did get in to other programs, but they're expensive, too, and the one I really want to go to is UIC, where I'm wait listed. So we'll see. All things considered, I probably have to go to a state school. I'm not comfortable with the debt these private schools think we should be so willing to assume. Columbia College, by comparison, is cheap (tuition at 20K), but when you tack on living expenses and three years of study (with hardly any scholarship opportunities), it's about the same amount of debt overall.....I'm still considering it as an option, maybe with the intention of transferring out the first year. But I just don't know. It's very disappointing.

I agree, it's so disappointing. To make a huge achievement and to be selected as one of the few to be in this awesome program...then have money get in the way is frustrating. It's even more confusing not knowing what is in the future and knowing how we all will pay off our debts. I already was accepted into an MFA program last year and had to decline because of money and I feel now that it's my last chance to go. I had no idea a lot of state schools had such great funding. I feel like a fool. I was told to apply at the big name private schools because the more expensive the school, apparently the more money they had to offer. Obviously that's not the case. Edited by Britt0131