MFA Photography - post your results

glittergrill

It's that time, applications are in! 

This is a place for MFA Photo applicants to post your results as you receive interview requests, rejections, and acceptances throughout the next couple months. 

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, glad to have discovered this group. I applied to Calarts, ICP-Bard, MassArt, SAIC and SVA. Out of these I've only visited SVA and the revamped department looks great. 

@vaneiris Where are you from and which schools have you applied to? You seem to be from China, I'm from Hong Kong btw. You can find some of my works at http://yiyichan.viewbook.com

@lyslys I think you have a very strong body of work and enjoy the way you see and capture the world around you. 

It's too bad we're not applying to any of the same schools. 

I just moved my website this week so it needs some tweaking- http://desireeleary.com/

lyslys, hdsl, vaneiris - love your work. y'all are killing it.

i'm paranoid about linking to this forum 'cause i don't know if you can delete it? but would gladly pm any of y'all my website. 

lyslys, hdsl, vaneiris - love your work. y'all are killing it.

i'm paranoid about linking to this forum 'cause i don't know if you can delete it? but would gladly pm any of y'all my website. 

@Erpnope

It is possible to edit posts. But I totally understand not wanting to post your site. I was on this forum last year but didn't post my site because I was feeling shy. This year I'm a bit more confident I felt this thread to be a "safer" space to post than the larger (all disciplines) one. Also I am most interested in seeing how others are working in photography specifically, even though people are posting great stuff on the other thread.

Please do PM me, I would love to see your work. Where are you applying?

Yale interview!

Preface: I'm kind of broke as fck, so i only had a certain amt of $ to spend on apps. So I narrowed down my list by faculty i really liked and just applied to yale and ucla. Dumb, I know, but. Dream faculty.

Edited by Erpnope

Yale interview!

Preface: I'm kind of broke as fck, so i only had a certain amt of $ to spend on apps. So I narrowed down my list by faculty i really liked and just applied to yale and ucla. Dumb, I know, but. Dream faculty.

Congs to you, Erpnope

Yale interview!

Congratulation! Could you PM me your site? Good luck!

Yale interview!

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING! GOOD LUCK! 

Nice work everyone! I wish I could show you something, but I don't have a website or a tumblr...I need to get on that. I shoot a range of styles from fine art to commercial, I really like restoring vintage photos and turning them into composites, but I primarily shoot self-portraits. This is my first time applying to schools, I'm a nervous wreck that I'll be rejected from them all...there are so many talents out there, present company included.  

@Erpnope - I am envious of your Yale interview. Being on a budget too, I only applied to a few schools, and even though Yale is my dream school because of Crewdson it did not make the cut, basically because I figured I didn't have a chance. If nothing happens for me this year, I think I'll include Yale in next year's apps. I'd love to see your work, so please PM me your site if you can.  

MassArt Interview! And I have about one week to courier my portfolio in as I'm half way across the world and have to do it through Skype, yikes $$$$.

hayooo!!!!  Massart is AWESOME. They have such good lectures! and Abe morell and David Hilliard! So awesome. Congrats!

MassArt Interview! And I have about one week to courier my portfolio in as I'm half way across the world and have to do it through Skype, yikes $$$$.

CONGRATS! Best of luck to you!!!!!

By the way has anyone who applied to SAIC received any non-automated e-mail acknowledgments/anything in the mail after their application submission?

Lyslys, congrats on the MassArt interview. I agree with Erpnope, Morrell I awesome! I am fascinated by his camera obscura work.

Of the three schools I applied to, SAIC was the only one I didn't receive any sort of acknowledgement of application submission.

By the way has anyone who applied to SAIC received any non-automated e-mail acknowledgments/anything in the mail after their application submission?

I didn't apply to SAIC this year but here's some info I posted in the main freakout forum:

just to temper the anticipation and anxiety in the air, this is what i know from my SAIC experience last year. Painting, Sculpture, Photo, and maybe Fibers all interview. Performance, Video, and some other depts don't interview.

interview notifications are sent snail mail - i remember getting mine maybe a little after valentines day. 

the interview day is kind of a mind fuck. last year it was march 4. each dept has a room to hang out in for prospectives and current students who shepherd people to interviews or tours. through out the day people are coming and going to interviews and tours, and there's an all department reception at the end of the day that current students, faculty and prospectives attend. and the Photo dept has their own after-party after the reception which is traditionally at a bar/restaurant but last year it was at an apartment gallery. because the current students have a say in the admissions process it's weird/important/uncomfortable to hang out with them ALL day with the other prospectives. but at the same time it's good for the prospectives to get a feel for the department and people. i am still unsure about whether it's a good fit for me (i deferred admission). 

hope this is helpful.

Also if it's the same as years past they send ALL notification via snail mail. it made me crazy especially because my mail person is unreliable and our mail is thrown on our stoop paperboy style. 

I didn't apply to SAIC this year but here's some info I posted in the main freakout forum:

just to temper the anticipation and anxiety in the air, this is what i know from my SAIC experience last year. Painting, Sculpture, Photo, and maybe Fibers all interview. Performance, Video, and some other depts don't interview.

interview notifications are sent snail mail - i remember getting mine maybe a little after valentines day. 

the interview day is kind of a mind fuck. last year it was march 4. each dept has a room to hang out in for prospectives and current students who shepherd people to interviews or tours. through out the day people are coming and going to interviews and tours, and there's an all department reception at the end of the day that current students, faculty and prospectives attend. and the Photo dept has their own after-party after the reception which is traditionally at a bar/restaurant but last year it was at an apartment gallery. because the current students have a say in the admissions process it's weird/important/uncomfortable to hang out with them ALL day with the other prospectives. but at the same time it's good for the prospectives to get a feel for the department and people. i am still unsure about whether it's a good fit for me (i deferred admission). 

hope this is helpful.

Also if it's the same as years past they send ALL notification via snail mail. it made me crazy especially because my mail person is unreliable and our mail is thrown on our stoop paperboy style. 

Hey hdsl, thanks for posting this...really good to know! Just out of curiosity, why are you not sure if it's a good fit...and did they offer you any funding?

Thanks so much for the info hdsl, really good to know. That sounded like a pretty intense day, but you pulled through and got the acceptance so awesome on your part! I was wondering if you saw any international students there who actually flew in for interviews?

As we speak I just received an e-mail from SAIC regarding graduate scholarship eligibility and application deadline... I hope that means what I think it means...

I got the same e-mail. I don't think it really means anything other than that you are encouraged to apply if you are eligble but that it won't affect you acceptance..

Haha you're probably right. I was slightly hyped after reading this:

But I guess circumstances might have changed since 2011.

oh ok. but that was sent in late march. they haven't even had interviews yet. but I will definitely cross my fingers!! maybe I'm just a pessimist haha

Thanks so much for the info hdsl, really good to know. That sounded like a pretty intense day, but you pulled through and got the acceptance so awesome on your part! I was wondering if you saw any international students there who actually flew in for interviews?

As we speak I just received an e-mail from SAIC regarding graduate scholarship eligibility and application deadline... I hope that means what I think it means...

I received the same email today too.

Did anyone apply to the Glasgow School of Art?

It's been a pain in the ass trying to communicate with them. It has been taking 3+ weeks for an email response!

I wasn't able to find out when they send out interview notifications nor how many people they accept to the program each year. Anyone have any idea?

Also does anyone know how many people they interview at the Royal College of Art?

Man oh man this process is maddening.

I

need

to

relax

Hey! I'm likely early, but wondering if anyone else applied to Parsons and if they've heard anything? From previous forums they seemed to interview on the early side. Thanks!

Edited by longfeb