MFA Photography - post your results

glittergrill

For those waiting to hear back from Parsons, don't worry - I was accepted last year and never interviewed. The acceptance letter just came in the mail in mid-March.

Hang in there!

Thanks @PouchPotato and @lyslys !

I know that someone got interviews(painting&sculpture)from saic,but has anyone heard of anything from photo department?

I haven't heard anything from SAIC and haven't noticed anyone who applied for photo posting anything either. I've had four days with no mail, which has been making me neurotic that the post office has been delivering my mail somewhere else. If I don't receive some mail tomorrow then I'll really be going bonkers.

I want to give some information that I got from my University of Oregon interview from this weekend. The departments for the MFA are starting to become more intermingled and it is an overall graduate faculty decision for who is getting in. My work consists of a lot of sculptural sets and dioramas so the sculptural/3D people were interested in me too. Informal interviews seem to be given on the weekend to people, not sure how outside of Photography applications it is going, I spoke towards the Photo department. They are able to guarantee 6 terms of the 9 for the graduate teaching fellowship for accepted students. 

I asked when acceptance information would be given and was told not until the start of March at the earliest. So I get to sit worrying for another 3 weeks.  :(

For those of you who have ICP-Bard and SAIC on their list, they are sending out e-mails to schedule interviews!!!

really? I didn't get an e-mail ;(

but congrats to you lyslys! good luck on your interviews!

For those of you who have ICP-Bard and SAIC on their list, they are sending out e-mails to schedule interviews!!!

Congrats lyslys!! You are racking up the interviews...must feel good!

^ I think they send emails to people currently abroad, if you are in the states I think they send snail mail!

I hope you're right Erpnope...then maybe I still have a chance. Though, I still haven't received a single piece of mail since Tuesday of last week...I really think the postoffice has forgotten where I live. What a time to have a mail crisis lol.

Congrats lyslys!! You are racking up the interviews...must feel good!

I hope you're right Erpnope...then maybe I still have a chance. Though, I still haven't received a single piece of mail since Tuesday of last week...I really think the postoffice has forgotten where I live. What a time to have a mail crisis lol.

same with you, meanabelle

I haven't received any messages too..........

Whats up everybody,

Congrads on getting interviews everybody. Funny how some schools are quick and others seem to take an eternity, anyways here are my results,

Anybody know what to expect from Mass art interview? I saw lyslys you also have an interview with Mass Art too, Are you going to bring alot of new work with you? I'm questioning what I should print. Sorry guys I don't have a website, but I'm the guy still developing film and wet printing silver, so it's going to be interesting trying to explain how my work is contemporary haha, but seriously...

Yale-rejected

Mass Art (interview scheduled 2/25)

Columbia-

RISD-

MICA-

Hey hdsl, thanks for posting this...really good to know! Just out of curiosity, why are you not sure if it's a good fit...and did they offer you any funding?

they offered very little funding. something ridiculous like $6,000/year (or maybe total?) and their TAships pay something like $12-15/hour. 

it is super expensive and i don't feel that the education is worth going into crazy debt. i already have debt from undergrad and another masters degree. 

in general i don't think that my personality and work fit in with the department. the students felt very young and a bit cliquey. the work was very loud and in your face.  and the studios were really small for such an expensive school. i'm not articulating this well, if you have any specific questions please feel free to DM me. 

there were many reasons i decided not to go this past fall. i'm going to hold on to the deferment and see if i get better funding for this year though most likely i don't see myself there. 

Thanks so much for the info hdsl, really good to know. That sounded like a pretty intense day, but you pulled through and got the acceptance so awesome on your part! I was wondering if you saw any international students there who actually flew in for interviews?

As we speak I just received an e-mail from SAIC regarding graduate scholarship eligibility and application deadline... I hope that means what I think it means...

there was at least one guy who flew from Israel. i think he had some interviews at other schools here in the US.

GOOD LUCK to all who have interviews!

one more thing about SAIC funding: the photo department gives out 2 half scholarships per year (i think they accept 10 students per class).

other departments give either 1 full or 2 half scholarships per year. 

i think at least 20 people interviewed, probably more. it was hard to tell with the 1st years in the room too. 

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but hoping for advice.  I have an interview with ICP-Bard and SAIC but they may overlap.  SAIC wants March 2 and ICP is generally the weekend of March.  They want confirmation by tomorrow, but cannot give an exact date until next week...Wrote to them explaining that I'm traveling a long way to interview and would like to have March 1 or 3rd to combine trips.  I would like to interview with both schools and hope I did not hurt my chances by this request.  What are your thoughts on this?  Opinions about either school would be greatly appreciated in case I have to choose one interview to attend in person and one to do on skype.

Congrats everyone and break a leg at interviews :)

anyone heard from risd?

Hey, I haven't heard anything from RISD at all. I was poking around on some forums from 2012 and it seemed like majority of people were hearing back from RISD near the end of Feb towards the beginning of Mar. I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure they conduct Skype interviews, so we should be hearing something sometime in the next few weeks. But other than that I know pretty much nil.

Whats up everybody,

Congrads on getting interviews everybody. Funny how some schools are quick and others seem to take an eternity, anyways here are my results,

Anybody know what to expect from Mass art interview? I saw lyslys you also have an interview with Mass Art too, Are you going to bring alot of new work with you? I'm questioning what I should print. Sorry guys I don't have a website, but I'm the guy still developing film and wet printing silver, so it's going to be interesting trying to explain how my work is contemporary haha, but seriously...

Yale-rejected

Mass Art (interview scheduled 2/25)

Columbia-

RISD-

MICA-

Hey Joker, I’m still working with film too…as well as digital…and more recently making albumen prints from scratch. My focus is combining old and new processes…so not sure how this will go over with the schools I applied to. I love to hear people are still working analog. I think everyone should step in a darkroom at least once. Do you work digital at all? I was a late convert, and basically enrolled in a commercial digital photography program just to keep up with technology. Turns out I love digital just as much as analog and both have their place in my work.  

where are the non-abroad people's interview invitations from SAIC? should I assume rejection?

btw, lyslys - that MoMA video was great! long but very informative and it was interesting to hear their side so to speak.

they offered very little funding. something ridiculous like $6,000/year (or maybe total?) and their TAships pay something like $12-15/hour. 

it is super expensive and i don't feel that the education is worth going into crazy debt. i already have debt from undergrad and another masters degree. 

in general i don't think that my personality and work fit in with the department. the students felt very young and a bit cliquey. the work was very loud and in your face.  and the studios were really small for such an expensive school. i'm not articulating this well, if you have any specific questions please feel free to DM me. 

there were many reasons i decided not to go this past fall. i'm going to hold on to the deferment and see if i get better funding for this year though most likely i don't see myself there. 

there was at least one guy who flew from Israel. i think he had some interviews at other schools here in the US.

hdsl, thanks for the info! I think I might have more questions for you so I may message you later.

where are the non-abroad people's interview invitations from SAIC? should I assume rejection?

btw, lyslys - that MoMA video was great! long but very informative and it was interesting to hear their side so to speak.

I haven't received one either...so I'm kind of assuming rejection right now :(

:( I just received my first rejection as well from East Carolina University. It was actually my last choice, but it still stings. Ah, at least I got that out of the way. Now it's time to go to the bar.

Good luck everyone, hopefully we'll start receiving some good news soon!