PhD Interview Weekend

MissSav2

I have a few:

Show your interest in pursuing a scientific career

Know your research experiences and be able to articulate it well

Know why you want to get a PhD or Masters

Be yourself

Be personable

Don't bring up taboo subjects and stay personable when talking to graduate students when faculty aren't around

Relax

Have fun

Also, a big thing:

When your faculty interviewers discuss their research with you, be sure to have a question or two to ask them regarding it and show as much interest as you can regarding the subject.

I'm not sure how interview-heavy Emory is compared to other places, but these are some tips I have.  Anyone who's already done an interview could probably give more advice.

I was told not to wear a suit so i war a button down, nice jacket, nice slacks, dress shoes. I felt perfect. Always take what they say and add a small notch up to it. If they say no suit, don't wear a suit. Be calm, be yourself. Nerves are okay but don't let them alter your answer.

Dress pants and a sweater sounds fine. The invitation usually does have a few guidelines. Mine said for men not to wear a suit. I actually ended up wearing a suit outfit with pants and a matching suit jacket with a sweater underneath (i'm a female). A word of advice to women, really think about whether you want to wear high heels. My five interviews were spread around 3 buildings, which weren't that far from each other, but involved stairs and rocky paths. Additionally, there may be lots of walking and standing during interview days. I wore flats and am glad that I did.

• 1 month later...

If you have any research posters I would print those out (in a small version of course) and bring them with you. Profs like that I brought mine, and it gave them something to look at which makes explaining your past work much easier.

Thanks so much, Gina!  Since I've already done research on the professors, would it be dorky or weird to bring a list of questions to ask each one, like on my iPhone or a printed piece of paper?  I want to be prepared, but I don't want to come across as weird or too intense.  Any suggestions?

I don't think it's weird at all. I would just write your questions on paper though. If you are looking at your phone they might think you're texting or something... even though you're obviously not. I don't think it's bad to look prepared!