Developmental Psychology 2009

searching4schools

Hey all,

So I'm searching for some programs in Developmental Psych. Specifically, Cognitive Development. So far, I have Rutgers, Columbia, NYU, Boston U and my reach would be Yale.

Here are my questions:

1. How many more programs do you think I should apply to?

2. Considering my qualifications (Gpa: 3.8, GRE 1380, 2 year research experience, independent study w/o publication) what are my chances of getting into these programs?

Thanks all!

• 1 month later...

Your stats look very good, and it looks like you have some great schools on your list. I think you have a VERY GOOD chance of getting into those programs, and hopefully your letters of recommendation and statement of purpose are strong. Your scores will definitely open the doors to those schools, and good letters and solid research experience will put you ahead of the pack. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it couldn't hurt to apply to a few more schools and maybe 1 or 2 "safety" schools. With that said, only apply to some safety schools you'd be happy attending. Getting into a safety is fine, but it's pointless if you have no intention of attending or can't picture yourself happy there. Best of luck!

• 2 months later...

To the OP--

What kind of Cognitive Development are you interested in? It's a pretty big field, so specific research interests will likely guide you better than any broad recommendations from us. I applied to Cog Dev stuff this year (and have been working in the field for a while), and I'd be happy to share what I found with you, but more info needed! Feel free to PM me or whatnot.

In terms of chances-- it's hard to say, but it looks good. Common research interests seem to me to be the most important-- you can have a GREAT set of stats, LORs, and SOP and apply to a school that's not a good fit and you'll often get rejected. On the other hand, even with a slightly less impressive set of stats, people often get into fantastic schools because their research matches a faculty member's. That's why I can't really begin to gauge your chances at these schools without knowing more about you.

Best of luck!

I think what psychology says is right. I guess it's a bit late now though -- I wonder what programs this person ended up applying to. Psychology, where did you apply? Just out of curiosity, what area of cog dvpt are you into? You seem really wise to this whole application process and shouldn't have a prob getting into decent programs. I think maturity goes a long way and really differentiates people from the crowd. Many students obsess over their stats. Sure, stats are important, but they certainly are not the be all and end all. For example: my undergrad GPA was unremarkable, but I took several relevant courses later on as a non-degree student and demonstrated my capacity for academic excellence. I also took my sweet time to apply to grad school (wasn't entirely sure I wanted to stay in Psych) but once I decided, I was uber focused. I sought out research projects and secured awesome references. I also have paid work experience in the field. All this experience was brought together in a really effective narrative in my SOP, which basically explained how my research and academic experiences led me to become passionate about a particular area on cognitive development.

Hey everyone---

I was really surprised to see a Harvard Dev. Psych Interview on the Results Search---- anyone care to share whether this was a getting to know you kind of e-mail or an invitation to recruitment weekend? Speaking with lots of people who've been through the process with them, I've heard not to expect a peep until mid-Feb at the earliest for the psych program--- so I was a bit surprised (and saddddddddddddd for me) to see a listing. Sorry to be a total neurotic noodle here, but I <3 Harvard LDS.

• 1 month later...

Congrats! I'm still waiting!

I had an interview with Fordham and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.

Stony Brook- I think might have lost my application because they keep forwarding my inquiry emails to different people and no one has any clue.

Brown-No word and no responses to my emails.

Yale- Rejection

Accepted by ASU after recent interview.

Accepted a while ago by Purdue U.

Wait listed at University of Washington.... I wish they would hurry up!

Waiting to hear from Florida State U- not that I care...

This is so hard! UW is close to me so I would like that, but ASU was so fantastic! Purdue is ranked well, but I have no clue how things are there... any word? Advice?