What's it *like*?

Seatbelt Blue

I'll be going to BC, Fordham, or Seton Hall come the fall, and I'm wondering what exactly to expect going in, I'd like to be a publishing, researching theologian-professor in the end, so I'm curious whether a graduate program in theology is primarily classes, if there are opportunities for real research and academic writing, etc. I've obviously already looked at the programs I've applied to, and I do understand there are lots and lots of classes, but I guess what I'm wondering is, other than laser-like focus, how is a grad program in the humanities substantively different than undergrad?

Coursework at the master's level is like a beefed up undergrad course; it's more reading and more writing, both at a higher level of quality. It'll probably be a mix of lecture courses and some seminars. Depending on where you attend, you might have the opportunity to take a Ph.D. level seminar -- those are usually much more demanding.

I'll be going to BC, Fordham, or Seton Hall come the fall, and I'm wondering what exactly to expect going in, I'd like to be a publishing, researching theologian-professor in the end, so I'm curious whether a graduate program in theology is primarily classes, if there are opportunities for real research and academic writing, etc. I've obviously already looked at the programs I've applied to, and I do understand there are lots and lots of classes, but I guess what I'm wondering is, other than laser-like focus, how is a grad program in the humanities substantively different than undergrad?

Depends. At BC, for instance (as well as Duke Div, it seems), a lot of the master's courses are basically more advanced undergraduate courses. Remember that a lot of the people entering seminary do not have any formal training in theology, history, philosophy, ect. For this reason I took a lot of my classes in the Arts and Sciences Theology dept., since they cater more doctoral students. 

For a regular master's course, expect some reading per class, and either a mix of papers throughout the semester, or a large research paper at the end (ca. 15-20 pgs), or both. This has been corroborated from my friends at YDS, VDS, Candler, and what I was expected while taking courses at HDS.

One thing to think about here, in terms of taking courses with undergrads is as follows:

1. Unless you plan on being a big-time research prof. right out of your PhD (unlikely even if you do plan on it), your first job will most likely be teaching undergrads.  Hence, you should have a good sense of how to communicate your ultra-intricate, nuanced view of the synoptic problem to someone who (a) may not care about it and (if they do care, will glaze over if you start using a term like 'redactor.' 

2. In this vein, whereas you may not want to have *all* your classes be filled with a lot of undergrads, as it is nice to have a high-level conversation where one can assume that everyone is more or less on the same page - as you move toward TAing, it is good to have a few so that you can practice a manner of speech and presentation that will allow you to share your thoughts clearly.  Lots of folks step into the TA year(s) and spend the first few meetings talking over everyone's heads before they realize that they need to work on this aspect of their pedagogy.

3. On the flipside of this, don't be arrogant and assume that due to your 2 years in seminary or grad school that your knowledge is vastly superior to undergraduate students, especially juniors and seniors.  I have had a few experiences such as, (a) Junior and Senior-level Classics majors absolutely kicking my butt in both Greek and Latin courses, (having a conversation after class with a senior about a brilliant observation she made during my presentation on some Coptic texts that has now led to a soon-to-be published article - the student did not know Coptic, and actually was a medieval history major, but obviously had the erudition to come up with some excellent thinking.  I am constantly surprised and humbled during the classes that I share with undergraduates.

4. Finally, I actually found that my courses at YDS with other 'formally trained' folks were at times less enjoyable than those without.  Formal training can allow one to have good classroom conversations, but it also breeds a lot of folks with fairly intractable positions on issues and topics that can really get in the way of open and honest inquiry.  I'll take ten undergrads with less training and more openness than ten grad students who think they are  the smartest people in the world because they got into an ivy league grad school. 

Edited by AbrasaxEos