Taking pictures during campus visits?

ACM88

Hi everyone!

I have a few campus visits and interviews coming up next month and I have a question about etiquette. Would it be inappropriate to take pictures of the campus during tours and other activities? For some of the visits, there will likely only be a handful of students, but for others I believe there were mass-invititatons. My worry is that it would seem rude, distracting, or make me look/feel like a tourist if I take photos during the trip. Has anyone had any ideas about this or dealt with it yet themselves?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

I took a few pictures of the campuses I visited. I didn't do the whole "tourist" thing with a camera hanging around my neck etc. But I had a digital camera in my pocket and I took pictures when it was appropriate. I didn't do it during "official" events like talks, or interviews, or social gatherings (I generally don't take pictures of people I don't know well though). But I took plenty of pictures of the campus and the surrounding areas during my own time. 

I would think it would be appropriate to take a few pictures at non-distracting moments using your phone. I don't even know that I would whip out a separate camera, it could be awkward depending on the size of the group and who is leading a tour. If you want to go that route and it's just you and other applicants/current students, I'd probably ask if they minded and when they said no, make a joke about it:-).

I just politely asked during the campus tour, whether the place I wanted to take a picture of, Place X was open on the weekends or the next day. Once I got my answer, before I had to leave for my flight the next day, I got up super early and took pictures all around campus that I wanted to the day before. This way I got to see some places twice and without distracting fellow applicants, or the student tour guide. Even if they say they don't mind, they might and are too polite to say so. Good luck on your visits!

Thanks! I've done one visit already, but I was the only student there and my hosts were very amicable and had no problem with me taking the occasional photo. I just worry about the potential for taking photos to reflect poorly upon me as a candidate, especially during group settings like campus tours. I would never take pictures during times when my full attention was required, but I'm hoping that during tours, it's acceptable. Many of the places I'm visiting my family has never seen before and I want to take good photos not just for my own memories in case I don't go there, but also to share with my family. I don't think it will be a problem since I have no intention of bringing a huge SLR camera, but I do have a nice pocket-sized digital camera that I was hoping would get some action. I'll just have to wait and see what the atmosphere is like while I'm there.

Thank you all for your reponses! Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well. :)

@uromastyx: Why do you say that? And what if students aren't given free time? I know that for one of my visits, the itinerary currently does not leave space for students to roam on their own and I can't afford to stay in the area for an extra day.