Including weaknesses and explanation for a year off in the SOP...

I have already drafted an SOP for a few other schools, but none of the prompts specifically requested weaknesses/ an explanation for a gap year. I am applying for programs outside of my undergraduate major, which I know is a weakness but tried to emphasize the strength of that in my SOP- is it fine to leave it like that or do I need to actually mention a weakness?

Also- I graduated in May and had a temporary related job until mid-September, but now am just working retail. I simple reason I didn't apply to grad school is because I thought I'd be able to get a year or two of work experience first- turns out that's not happening (need the MS to get a job). No big reason why I took a year off, was always planning on pursuing it but I wasn't sure specifically what I wanted. I guess it has given me time to evaluate that- should I just say that?

Here is the essay prompt:

"Please outline your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate study, and comment on your plans for a professional career. Describe the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study in your proposed field. If there are gaps in your academic career, please address them."

Hmm. Since the prompt says, "Describe the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study," then yes, you do actually need to mention a weakness (and probably more than one). I wouldn't spend a huge chunk of the essay on weaknesses, but don't outright ignore it. (Just like, in a job interview, if you're asked about strengths and weaknesses...you can't say you have no weaknesses!)

I don't know what field you're going into so it's hard for me to comment specifically... One thing that helped me was looking at a list of qualities the program expected its students to have, and then choosing one or two of those attributes to highlight as things I'm still working on.

As for the "gaps in your academic career" part...to me taking a year between undergrad and grad school isn't a gap that needs real explaining; I'd imagine they're talking about, say, leaving college after two years and finishing the degree five years later, or other unusual academic gaps. If you want you can throw in a sentence about having had time to evaluate the type of grad program you want, because it certainly can't hurt and will set your mind at ease about following the directions, but I wouldn't worry much about it.

(Just like, in a job interview, if you're asked about strengths and weaknesses...you can't say you have no weaknesses!)

But also just like a job interview, you wouldn't share your "weakness" unless you can spin it as a strength ; )

Edited by Usmivka