Eracer

Aspiring Masters Biostats applicant:

Domestic

3.66 GPA from top 50 university

166 Q, 164V, 4.5W

3.9 average in Calc I/II/III + Linear Algebra + intro probability

2 years clinical research 

2 good recommendations, one great one

Applied to UW, Michigan, UNC, Berkeley, Columbia, Emory, and Boston.

Haven't gotten any emails or calls yet, did I overreach??

We have similar stats and goals and I feel the same way. One good thing is that I read somewhere that it's good you haven't heard from UW yet, as they're sending a lot of rejections out in late January. I also applied to UNC, Berkley, and Columbia and haven't heard back so hopefully that means something good for both of us !

I think you should be OK, especially only having applied for Masters.

I'm worried I didn't apply to any safeties though but I really want to get in one of UW/Mich/Columbia/Berkeley/UNC

I think you're in good shape, probably wouldn't start worrying for another month or so. I believe schools like Michigan and Columbia have huge masters programs, and they haven't really sent out a lot of acceptances yet (I don't think Columbia's sent out any, could be March before anyone hears anything). Berkeley is also notorious for contacting people late in the past, although their program is way smaller than the other 4 schools you mentioned as top choices.

If you're still worried, there are schools with late deadlines. Johns Hopkins deadline is 2/1, although it doesn't really qualify as a safety or anything. I also know UCLA is very open to late applications for their masters program (even as late as 6/1) so that's another one you may want to give a look. Minnesota is another great program at the top of the rankings with a 4/15 deadline if you don't mind their location too much.

Good luck!

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if you got into all the places you applied.

Wow really?  Given all the survey results showing folks with 169 Q scores and top GPAs made me think competition was extremely tight this year.

Wow really?  Given all the survey results showing folks with 169 Q scores and top GPAs made me think competition was extremely tight this year.

1. You're applying to Masters programs, which are typically moneymaking programs for schools. They will take anyone they feel can get through the program.

2. Difference between a 169Q and 166Q is meaningless; it's well within the "test-retest" margin of error.

3. What constitutes a competitive GPA depends strongly on your school and the courses you took. A 3.66 from a top 50 university is a fairly strong record; in fact, I think you would be competitive for PhD admission at most of the places you applied.