GRE Study Plan

CrazyCatLady80

I used a Kaplan on demand program but what helped me the most was the flash cards the sent me.  The verbal test is designed in such a way that you really have to know your vocab to do well.  At least when I took it, it's changed since then and I haven't taken the new version so I can't speak to that. But memorizing the vocab words and being able to come up with the definition quickly is invaluable for the test!

I used  Princeton Review in September and really liked it. I think they had four paper tests in the book and then 2 or 3 more practice tests online. I went through every section about 6 weeks before I took the test and highlighted everything I didn't know or was unsure about. Since quant was my weak point, I spent a good chunk of the time brushing up on all the math concepts. I did all the math practice problems and then I went back and reviewed (multiple times) all the ones I'd gotten wrong. I did the same thing with all the practice tests.

It was a lot of effort, but it really paid off. I think I improved my math score by at least 10 points.

Edited by Murklins

I used the ETS book - granted, there weren't a lot of books out at the time because the test was brand new. I had a Princeton Review from the old version that I used for the math review. For the essays, I read the strategy and then just practiced writing a couple to get used to outlining and the time constraints, and that was it.

I also did a lot of vocab. I had a huge box of flash cards lying around from who knows when, and I downloaded a free Kaplan vocab app on my phone. That was probably the most helpful thing in terms of my verbal score.

Don't use the current Kaplan book!  Honestly, I never felt so completely downtrodden about the GRE as after I waded through their terrible sample questions a few days before I took the actual test.  I scored extremely well on the GRE, but I never did well on any of the Kaplan practice tests.  Not a quality product to say the least.  The ETS book is much better according to a friend of mine who used both.  Definitely check out their online tests if you have a PC or can get access to one.  They seriously allayed my nerves after the Kaplan disaster, and taking them will familiarize you with the new computerized version.

Make sure to do some practice essays, even though you won't want to at all.  Coming up with appropriate nonsense to answer their questions in the allotted time is harder than it looks.

I checked the ETS book out of the library and studied for a couple of days, primarily to know how the test was structured, especially the analytic writing, which I was completely unfamiliar with. My attitude was that whatever my talents and knowledge, my best hope was that the scores would accurately assess them. I took it once, did fine, and never intend to take such a test again.

I used Barons briefly to cram math tricks the night before, but what helped me best was reading some Shakespeare.  Not joking -- the Bard was more helpful than a test prep book.  Then again, I took the old test, so dunno how it is now. 

I took the GRE without much studying prior to applying to an MA program and did just well enough to get into the local state school to which I applied. In preparing for the PhD application process, I knew I had to retake the GRE to boost my score. I studied with the Kaplan books and the on-demand program and treated it like it was a job during the summer. I raised my score substantially. I like Kaplan, but I did not check out the other products. I am not sure it matters a whole lot which product you use as long as you dedicate the time to doing it right. For me, I knew there were going to be a lot of things out of my control in the application process, studying and performing on the GRE was going to be one thing I could and would control.

I made studying for it a part of my routine as much as I could, running over vocab and practice questions briefly every night, then taking at least one full practice test over weekends; I used both the newest Princeton Review book and GRE's PowerPrep for the practice tests.

Given that I also hadn't done any math since a disastrous physics course in my freshman year of undergrad, I found ETS's free math review packet incredibly helpful: http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_math_review.pdf (PDF). Going over and over that really helped; I got a 159 in quant in the end.