What to wear to on-campus interview? [Male]

crazystat

I personally wore a nice pair of slacks, a long-sleeve collarless dress t-shirt (tucked into your slacks), and a sport coat when I have met with professors.  This actually gives you 2 different levels of formality.  You can keep the sport coat on if you want to be dressier (for example, if the prof is also wearing a sportcoat).  Or, you can take it off and you have more of a business casual look (say, when you're meeting with a current grad student or a dressed-down prof).

When in doubt, dress it up a bit more.  But not to the level of a suit and tie.

I personally wore a nice pair of slacks, a long-sleeve collarless dress t-shirt (tucked into your slacks), and a sport coat when I have met with professors.  This actually gives you 2 different levels of formality.  You can keep the sport coat on if you want to be dressier (for example, if the prof is also wearing a sportcoat).  Or, you can take it off and you have more of a business casual look (say, when you're meeting with a current grad student or a dressed-down prof).

When in doubt, dress it up a bit more.  But not to the level of a suit and tie.

I don't think a tie would hurt.  In most cases though I would say a professional looking button down shirt tucked in and a jacket with slacks would be the best approach.

The people in my department dressed up for their interview days. The girl who is naturally more stylish wore a suit, most of us wore sweaters or collared shirts and dress pants/skirts. (I would not recommend you wear a skirt, but it is the 21st century, so whatev.)

I like the sports coat idea.

Under no circumstances should you ever wear jeans. The rule if you're not sure is business casual, but you can always wear nicer (ie suit), just never underdress. 

I wore a suit to my first because it was cold, and will probably wear a nice shirt and tie (maybe sweater) for the rest. Except UCSD. Which will be on a freaking beach.