Is to too much to work part-time while getting PhD and being a TA?

Greenbeans19

I already have my masters degree in sociology, and after a few years working, I am going back to school to get my PhD in sociology. I was just wondering--how what is the workload for PhD classes compared to masters level courses from your experience? Is it comparable, or is there a lot more reading/writing? I am hoping to get a position as a TA/RA, take a full load of courses, and am worried that financially I may have to get a part-time job somewhere for the weekends so that I can pay my bills. Is this doable when getting a PhD or should I expect that all of my free time needs to be dedicated to keeping up on my coursework? I worked full-time while getting my masters--it was really tough, but doable. I know each program is different, but just wanted to hear some other's experiences/opinions.

I do work fulltime and am finishing my MA (full-term thesis now) and find it doable, energy-wise and time-wise, but that work takes away from my presence at the department.  My understanding of life as a phd student, rather than a terminal MA, is that you are a part of the department and is considered to a part of everything that goes on.  Working part-time would most likely decrease your possibility of being this. 

Just ask yourself some basic questions: 

1. Will I be able to fully learn from graduate school if I have to overwork/focus on another thing ? 

2. What will happen during work peaks and deadlines? Will you be able to be working around the clock for publishing deadlines, conference submissions et al? 

If you feel that any offer you will get will be too low for living an acceptable life then I would rather think about postponing phd studies and working full-time as to save and create that safety you need.  After that - do your thing. 

Edited by ohgoodness

I know some PhD programs specifically do not want you to have any kind of "outside jobs."  I am not sure how strictly that is enforced, but it's something to ask about when you get into a program (maybe ask a current grad student about the policy...).  I do know people who held part-time jobs while in a PhD program, but they were often very few hours per week (less than 10), just as some extra "spending money."

Good point about getting that "part of the department" feel-- I do feel like I missed out on that while getting my masters because I worked full-time while doing so. Also--I didn't know that some programs don't allow you to have an outside job. I'm just a little stressed out about the idea of making less than half of what I make now, and it's not like I'm living large to begin with. Maybe I will just live in a cardboard box to save money :)

I work in my department of study and know that I get ahead of people just by having time to be "around".  Other students go running to their other jobs whilst I can socialize in the lunch room, drink coffee with people, become a part of the program and get more experienced, and develop my social skills and network within academia.  Also getting a phd - you would to be able to excel within your field and become "your best" - I think that it would be hard to do so if you have to stress with a second job.  

A good suggestion is to look in the "Officially Grads" section here and see what concerns are being raised: 

Good luck to you anyhow! I know the feeling and would be in a similiar situation.