Theatre/Performance PhD Applicants

kittykitkit

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has heard from Berkeley for their TDPS program. Traditionally (according to TGC) it looks like they accept students in late Jan., has anyone gotten a positive phone call or some other word?

Additionally, anyone else hear from anywhere?

I haven't heard from Berkeley either.

I received an acceptance letter from U Maryland College Park yesterday, and an invitation to interview at Stanford just a few hours ago. (exciting!) So the time is now--I haven't been paying attention to TCG, I guess, because I was surprised to hear from anyone before February or March.

I vaguely remember a friend of mine going out to Berkeley in March, years ago, but I think that was for an admitted students recruitment weekend, rather than an interview.

Good luck to you both/everyone else reading these threads.

Congrats, Morse :)! Good luck at the interview, that is a wonderful opportunity. 

I was kind of surprised how early people have been hearing this year, and re: bamamama, I don't think Berkeley does interviews, but only based off of what I have seen on TGC...let the wait continue!

I'm also surprised that people are hearing so early!

I heard from Maryland College Park last week, and Colorado Boulder yesterday. Both acceptances and via email, with formal letters to follow.

Congrats to everyone so far!

Who else was accepted to UMD for Theatre & Performance Studies (PhD)? I see you on the Results Search! Do you think you will accept? Where else have you applied?

AAAHHHH. Brown, Stanford, Northwestern...Berkeley, where are you? 

I know it's still early, but I'm still being driven slightly insane.

Awww, sorry Boston! I'm still slightly mystified that schools are accepting this early. I feel I got very lucky, since CU Boulder was my first choice. I feel like I can relax, though that's still practically impossible, because I'm still waiting on the funding letter. :-/

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Who else was accepted to UMD for Theatre & Performance Studies (PhD)? I see you on the Results Search! Do you think you will accept? Where else have you applied?

Hi, Vicki! That's me. I'm not sure what my plans are--the UMD program looks great, and I like the DC/Baltimore area a lot, but of course I'm waiting for funding information too, and I want to know all my options before I start too seriously envisioning my life in a particular place. I also applied to Stanford, where I've been invited to interview at the end of this month, and UT-Austin, Berkeley, and NYU. I haven't heard from those three.

(I'm also interviewing for some MFA Directing programs, so this could still potentially go either way!)

I see that you were also accepted to CU Boulder--congratulations! I have family in Colorado--what a gorgeous city! I think UMD vs. CU lifestyle might be quite different.

I noticed that someone posted a UT PPP interview on the results page - Boston or Morse, was that you? I applied there as well; haven't heard anything yet.

I will see you at Stanford's visit, Morse - really looking forward to it. Have also applied to Berkeley (no word) and Oregon (no word; late deadline), and to Northwestern IPTD, who invited me for an interview as well. It's the same days as Stanford's, so I can't go.

Morse, which directing MFA programs do you like?  

Hi, Vicki! That's me. I'm not sure what my plans are--the UMD program looks great, and I like the DC/Baltimore area a lot, but of course I'm waiting for funding information too, and I want to know all my options before I start too seriously envisioning my life in a particular place. I also applied to Stanford, where I've been invited to interview at the end of this month, and UT-Austin, Berkeley, and NYU. I haven't heard from those three.

(I'm also interviewing for some MFA Directing programs, so this could still potentially go either way!)

I see that you were also accepted to CU Boulder--congratulations! I have family in Colorado--what a gorgeous city! I think UMD vs. CU lifestyle might be quite different.

Congrats! I agree that Boulder is a very different lifestyle vs. College Park. I personally think I'm a better fit for both the city of Boulder as well as CU's program. UMD is a fantastic program, and obviously I am still awaiting funding information, but I am almost dead certain I will go to CU. I just love everything about it!

I noticed that someone posted a UT PPP interview on the results page - Boston or Morse, was that you? I applied there as well; haven't heard anything yet.  
That was me. I was emailed on Wednesday night to do a phone interview either Thursday or Friday, and I spoke to one of my POI's about my research and interest in the program. I was told they were trying to choose from candidates that were on their short list, but I don't know much more than that. Friendly conversation, it seems like a tight-knit department for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted to the University of Texas last week, but haven't heard about funding. I saw that some people posted about Berkeley...my status is still "submitted", so I'll take that as my cue to mark it up as a rejection. Anyone else heard news?

I was accepted to the University of Texas last week, but haven't heard about funding. I saw that some people posted about Berkeley...my status is still "submitted", so I'll take that as my cue to mark it up as a rejection. Anyone else heard news?

Congrats, boston! Also, I've noticed that the online apps don't get updated frequently. My app status for CU Boulder still says, "Submitted," and I was accepted back in January. So don't give up all hope for Berkeley!

Still waiting on UOregon (Feb. 1st deadline) and Pitt (I saw one rejection already on the boards, so I guess it's good news that I haven't heard anything yet). The dept. secretary emailed me a couple of weeks ago to inquire about transcripts, so I think I at least made the shortlist.

last week i emailed the berkeley prof i chatted with back in november, and he said the program has already sent out all its acceptances. shortly after that email, my online status changed from "submitted" to a rejection letter, so i got the impression that changing the online status wasn't automatic. maybe email or call the secretary just to be sure?

congrats on UT boston - where do you think you'll go?

I see someone else on the Results Search got accepted to CU Boulder! Congrats. :-) Do you think you will accept? I'm still waiting on my official letter (darn you, USPS!), but I'm fairly certain I'll be attending. 

I'm so glad things are working out well for people this season!

As for me, I think Texas is a really great fit for my studies and they offer a lot of opportunities for teaching experience - but it will all come down to funding. I'm pretty much set at UGA, so I'd have to see a very positive offer from UT...which I'm sure will come in the mail one of these days! (fingers crossed) 

Finally got my official letter from CU Boulder! Very happy. TAship, Grad. Instructor (squee!), and fellowship. Very happy. CU Boulder's not known for being very generous, so I feel this is a good offer. I will most likely accept within a few days (have to finish that pesky chapter for my thesis first!).

Congrats to all!

Finally got my official letter from CU Boulder! Very happy. TAship, Grad. Instructor (squee!), and fellowship. Very happy. CU Boulder's not known for being very generous, so I feel this is a good offer. I will most likely accept within a few days (have to finish that pesky chapter for my thesis first!).

Congrats to all!

With your acceptance and funding to CU will you be declining any potential offers made by Oregon?  I have also applied there.  I have been informed they will make offers by the second week of March.  

Has anyone else here applied to Oregon?

With your acceptance and funding to CU will you be declining any potential offers made by Oregon?  I have also applied there.  I have been informed they will make offers by the second week of March.  

Has anyone else here applied to Oregon?

I'm actually still weighing options. I just got an offer from UMD that I'm now considering over Boulder, so nothing's for sure at the moment. UOregon is still definitely in the mix, but I'd need to see some generous funding for me to strongly consider them.

Good luck! Where else did you apply?