Letter of Intent, How Long is Too Long???

nrotunda

Yes I'm finished, and I'm not working up until the last minute :-) I had a ridiculous amount of material for my letter of intent (close to 2000 words). One program specified that they wanted no more than 500 words. So I edited it down to 500 exactly for this program. Another deadline is coming up and they do not want specify length. I want to keep it short because I know how many of these they must have to read, but in your opinions, what is the acceptable max?

most programs state 1 page or 500 words (10% under or 20% over shouldn't matter).

___

by letter of intent, I assumed you meant statement.

Edited by Reborn

Yes I'm finished, and I'm not working up until the last minute :-) I had a ridiculous amount of material for my letter of intent (close to 2000 words). One program specified that they wanted no more than 500 words. So I edited it down to 500 exactly for this program. Another deadline is coming up and they do not want specify length. I want to keep it short because I know how many of these they must have to read, but in your opinions, what is the acceptable max?

Mine was around 700-800 words, seemed acceptable for most programs. I read a Kaplan book with a long chapter regarding SOPs, and it seemed like the examples they gave were anywhere between 700-1000 words.

I made the mistake of sending my 800 word SOP to a school that said "500" words, I wish I could go back and edit it down like you did, oh well

perhaps have a professor or friend who has done an MFA program give it a once over? Sounds maybe a little long to me, but some programs like UMD require 1000 word statements, so - I'd really just check it with someone who has a critical eye. 

Edited by Erpnope

I can't tell you how hard it was getting it down to 500, especially given the amount of topics they wanted me to cover, including "brief life history." I'm 26 years old!

Your comments help. Thanks so much! I'm still going to try and get this version under 700.

Statements for MFAs are totally different (content and length) from Humanities PhDs.

After visiting all of the programs i was interested in applying, it was clear, keep your statement to 1 page or less.

____

Your statement should be an extension of your portfolio.  Statements for PhDs are more centered on research interests, etc (i know I am over simplifing).

Edited by Reborn

I can't tell you how hard it was getting it down to 500, especially given the amount of topics they wanted me to cover, including "brief life history." I'm 26 years old!

Your comments help. Thanks so much! I'm still going to try and get this version under 700.

LOL!   I'm 33 (and with 3 kids and lots of life history) and i usually feel young until I hear people say stuff like this.  haha    

My statement (i think) is kind of non-traditional, at least compared to some others that I've read.  Instead of a life history, I just told stories of events  that directly relate to my art-- things like catching chickens and being mistaken for a boy. 

Well, even if they think I'm a nutjob, there is no way they will fall asleep reading it.  

I know! I didn't mean to say I was "old" just how can life history be "brief." I think that only talking about things that relate to your art makes a lot of sense. Although for the schools that aren't requiring it, I'm not putting it.

I'm from WV too! Where did you get your undergrad?

I didn't get it yet!  graduating in May from WVU.   (I went to Asbury university like 10+ years ago, got kicked out for not being able to pay my tuition, then had 3 kids, and when the youngest went off to kindergarten i went back to WVU)

What city u from?  

Well congratulations! I'm from Fairmont, but I went to WVU. I studied art history. Did you take any photo classes with Michael Sherwin? Is the CAC still crazy and confusing?

In each case, I followed the explicit guidelines set by the school (whenever they offered guidelines). I had some which were restricted by page length (1-2 pages) and others which limited by word count (largest letter allowed was 1500 words).

In the case of schools that did not specify length, I kept it at 1-2 pages.

Well congratulations! I'm from Fairmont, but I went to WVU. I studied art history. Did you take any photo classes with Michael Sherwin? Is the CAC still crazy and confusing?

Nice.  My Dad used to be a Prof. at Fairmont, now he is at another school.   No, I've not taken any photography classes, but Sherwin is still there.  Yes, the CAC is still confusing (not really crazy though) even though I'm a senior, I still get lost at least once a week  lol.  

This semester I have THREE art history classes, which is a lot for me.  I don't know how you do it.  What year did you graduate WVU?