2013 Acceptance

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! Have never seen such a comment before.

I've got admisson from the UIowa and UCin for the Master's program. Still under consideration for funding.

Should I contact professors for RA positions?

• 2 weeks later...

HI Wicked-Problem,

Congratulation!

If possible, could you please share your profile (i.e. GRE score, GPA, Under and Master degree from which schools...)? Thank you.

HI Wicked-Problem,

Congratulation!

If possible, could you please share your profile (i.e. GRE score, GPA, Under and Master degree from which schools...)? Thank you.

Sorry for the delay; extended roadtrip...

GRE: V 163; Q 156; AW 5.5

Degrees/GPA:

B.A. Psychology (Honors) 3.40 (University of Kansas)

B.Arch Architecture 3.25 (University of Kansas)

MAIS Criminal Justice 4.0 (Western New Mexico University)

15 years professional practice specializing in detention and corrections

Seems odd that I would apply to my alma mater, but the top graduate of Georgia Tech's renowned space syntax and modeling program is my proposed advisor and two of the top people in facility performance evaluation are also there...

Rejected - YSOA / Cornell

Accepted - Columbia ( No Funding ) / Washignton St.Louis ( Funding details not yet ) / Michigan ( No Funding )

Waiting to hear back from - GSD / Penn Design / Princeton / MIT

Rejected - Berkeley

Accepted - Cornell (7k Stipend), UPenn (waiting on funding details)

Anyone have an opinion on which is a better option?

Hey. Congrats on the acceptances.

I would say Cornell. Its a better ranked program - but ive heard its more theoretical in its approach. Whilst UPenn is more design oriented. Ofcourse, this would matter on what concentration you have in mind. 

Wicked_Problem, thank you for information about your profile. It is from my observation that most of the applicants who applying for PhD program already had a master's degree. It is a must, or priority?

By the way, for those who are applying (or applied) for master's program, how much stipend do you often get with a quarter-time RA/TA? I have an offer with a $3,500/year stipend and a nearly full tuition scholarship (10h/week RA). I wonder if it is too low, comparing another offer of mine which is roughly $9,000/year (also 10h/week). Should I ask them for another job on campus to help cover my living expenses?

Thank you!

PS. I'm an international applicant.

Edited by GGT

Wicked_Problem, thank you for information about your profile. It is from my observation that most of the applicants who applying for PhD program already had a master's degree. It is a must, or priority?
That was the case for the majority of the programs I applied to. Because I was awarded the BArch instead of the MArch (long story) after three years of MArch coursework, I needed a masters degree to apply to PhD programs. I entered a masters program in Criminal Justice to address that deficiency and my company paid the tuition and books. It is germane to my specialty, and I learned a lot that will enhance my PhD research, so I am sort of glad I had to do it. By the way, at KU, everyone I met who was a PhD student was from overseas. Venezuela, Egypt, India, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and probably a few others I've forgotten. All the PhD students in the first year share one open office to build collaboration. Those selected for fellowships teach studios or TA for support classes. By the way, this is an open invitation for PhD applicants and especially those accepted to PhD programs to chime in...

By the way, for those who are applying (or applied) for master's program, how much stipend do you often get with a quarter-time RA/TA? I have an offer with a $3,500/year stipend and a nearly full tuition scholarship (10h/week RA). I wonder if it is too low, comparing another offer of mine which is roughly $9,000/year (also 10h/week). Should I ask them for another job on campus to help cover my living expenses?
Difficult to provide advice without more specific information, but 9K for a .25 RA seems pretty good but only if it includes full tuition remission. These packages must be evaluated in the whole, and in full consideration of the cost of living at the various locations... Feel free to PM me if you'd like further input.

Difficult to provide advice without more specific information, but 9K for a .25 RA seems pretty good but only if it includes full tuition remission. These packages must be evaluated in the whole, and in full consideration of the cost of living at the various locations... Feel free to PM me if you'd like further input.
Oh, and to add to the above... MArch programs are extreme time intensive, and that may be why you are only being offered .25 RA/TA positions. Another part time job might not be feasible. It might impact your workproduct and diminish the return you receive from the program (in terms of skills and intellectually) so take that into account as well...

I think generally, planning PhD programs expect you to have a Master's when you apply.  Some of them imply that they occasionally take applicants who only have bachelor's but I think it's very rare.  I also think it's somewhat rare to aspire to a PhD in planning before entering a graduate program.

Oh, and to add to the above... MArch programs are extreme time intensive, and that may be why you are only being offered .25 RA/TA positions. Another part time job might not be feasible. It might impact your workproduct and diminish the return you receive from the program (in terms of skills and intellectually) so take that into account as well...

Yes my 9k offer includes a full tuition remission.

I applied for a MURP program, not MArch. But they informed me about the intensity of time when studying there. Anyone else know about this time consuming stuff? My friends from engineering majors often get better stipends with a 20h/week appointment. 

3/4 with one "on deck." Nice batting average.

Thanks.  I still can't really believe things turned out this way.

Yes my 9k offer includes a full tuition remission.

I applied for a MURP program, not MArch. But they informed me about the intensity of time when studying there. Anyone else know about this time consuming stuff? My friends from engineering majors often get better stipends with a 20h/week appointment. 

Engineering programs are incredibly well-funded through the types of research they do.  Planning usually does not pull in huge amounts of money.  At least in my current department, few receive funding when they come in and even fewer have funding both years of the program.  To me that seems like a very good Master's stipend.

A MURP program isn't architecture but don't expect it to be easy.  We take 12 hours/semester (many other programs at this school are 9 hours/semester) and some of our classes are very reading/writing/group work intensive.

Engineering programs are incredibly well-funded through the types of research they do.  Planning usually does not pull in huge amounts of money.  At least in my current department, few receive funding when they come in and even fewer have funding both years of the program.  To me that seems like a very good Master's stipend.

Thank you. I did receive several offers from other schools with a lesser amount of fund, so I think funding for international students is rare at the moment.

I'm really worried about maintaining the fund for the second year. Did you mean that some get GAs in the 1st year and then lost the position in the 2nd year?

Some schools won't fund international students at all.  It's a university-wide rule because universities are funded by taxpayers and it's assumed that most international students will take their knowledge back to their home country and their families haven't been here paying taxes (obviously this might be a contentious policy but it exists).

Here the funding is kind of used to lure people into the program.  We have a few positions for second years and many seek internships to help pay for the second year of the program.  You should definitely ask if they are offering you one- or two-year funding.

The sad thing is that our broken immigration system precludes the possibility of these brilliant skilled graduates from staying in the United States in most instances, and that is OUR LOSS. Everyone benefits from having the most talented and knowledgable people at universities, no matter where they come from, and no matter their immigration status. Funding should be based on merit and merit alone, in my personal opinion.

Here the funding is kind of used to lure people into the program.  We have a few positions for second years and many seek internships to help pay for the second year of the program.  You should definitely ask if they are offering you one- or two-year funding.

I feel worried now. I can't afford the tuition fee and living expenses without funding from the school. They claimed that the 2nd year GA will be granted based on 1st year academic performance.

I assumed that 2nd year students should find GA easier than the 1st year ones since they have more experience and stability. Someone suggested that once I set the first step to the school, it's a huge advantage for me to find a job on campus. I am confused and worried a lot reading your words :(

I feel worried now. I can't afford the tuition fee and living expenses without funding from the school. They claimed that the 2nd year GA will be granted based on 1st year academic performance.

I assumed that 2nd year students should find GA easier than the 1st year ones since they have more experience and stability. Someone suggested that once I set the first step to the school, it's a huge advantage for me to find a job on campus. I am confused and worried a lot reading your words :(

That's different than my offer!  For me, there wasn't any mention of second year funding.  One thing you may want to find out is if the second year positions are awarded based on who has the best academic performance or if you simply have to meet a certain standard to be funded a 2nd year (maintain a 3.5 GPA, for example).