California State University

hzx4742

Anyone know these schools? such as Fullerton, Long Beach, Northridge... I read on their websites that the psychological research MA/MS programs in these schools have excellent record of placing graduates in top PhDs, like Yale, UCLA, Stanford..... a list including many top schools... Are the masters programs in these california state universities really so good that many students can get admission to top PhDs?

I also noticed that almost all students enrolled last year in Fullerton are from universities at California. Whether it is very hard for International students to be admitted in these school?

Thanks very much for your help.

I have a master's and teaching credential from a cal-state. It would be easy for an international student to get in, I would think, but I don't know that I would agree that it would be easy to move from there to a top PhD program...(although, I suppose I can let you know more in a couple weeks :P)

I didn't love my teaching credential program, nor the psych program, so I wouldn't particularly recommend...IMHO

On 2/1/2013 at 6:06 AM, hzx4742 said:

Anyone know these schools? such as Fullerton, Long Beach, Northridge... I read on their websites that the psychological research MA/MS programs in these schools have excellent record of placing graduates in top PhDs, like Yale, UCLA, Stanford..... a list including many top schools... Are the masters programs in these california state universities really so good that many students can get admission to top PhDs?

I also noticed that almost all students enrolled last year in Fullerton are from universities at California. Whether it is very hard for International students to be admitted in these school?

Thanks very much for your help.

I am an undergraduate at SF State, and the Psychology Masters program, especially MBB and Social have sent students to many PhD programs. I love the faculty there, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They especially have a strong quantitative training.

Just from the top of my head, they have sent people to Oxford, Champaign Urbana, Davis, Berkeley, Denver, WashU, and the ones applying this year have already had multiple offers from Michigan, Ohio, UCSD, and UC Riverside.

Shoot me a message if you want more info.

I have a master's and teaching credential from a cal-state. It would be easy for an international student to get in, I would think, but I don't know that I would agree that it would be easy to move from there to a top PhD program...(although, I suppose I can let you know more in a couple weeks :P)

I didn't love my teaching credential program, nor the psych program, so I wouldn't particularly recommend...IMHO

Just curious, EdNerd, what is it you don't like about the teaching credential and psych programs? What would you like to see changed (I'm considering schools too, would love to get your input! :) )

I found the faculty to be fairly inexperienced and un-engaging. Their administration and "red tape" is a bureaucratic nightmare and the curriculum (for teaching) is really disconnected from current teaching practice.

The people in my cohort were intelligent, dedicated, and passionate teachers--but we all found the courses and the course work to mostly be busy-work and not particularly applicable to the positions for which we were in training.

I found the faculty to be fairly inexperienced and un-engaging. Their administration and "red tape" is a bureaucratic nightmare and the curriculum (for teaching) is really disconnected from current teaching practice.

The people in my cohort were intelligent, dedicated, and passionate teachers--but we all found the courses and the course work to mostly be busy-work and not particularly applicable to the positions for which we were in training.

Could you please tell me which CSU have you attended?