One-way Video Interview

fieryfox99

Does anyone have experience with one-way video interviews? I have been asked to submit one as a part of my application for a Master's in Development Practice. However, it is optional, and the form says that my application will still be considered complete without one.

It looks like questions will flash up on the screen and I'll have a few minutes to give my answer through a webcam before it goes on to the next question.

Does anyone know what to expect? Is there a good reason to submit or not submit one? Has anyone else completed one of these?

I had a one-way video Skype interview with my POI. She couldn't turn on her video screen, so all I did was focus on the camera the whole time, pretending it was her face. I took just a few glimpses of myself in the small self-view portion of Skype but tried to ignore it most of the time. HTH, I know you are describing something a little different.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol that is ridiculous.  If I ever have to such a think I think I would take ISM's advice and look assuredly into the camera lens not the mini view of yourself.  If you know anybody who's in broadcasting or anything maybe they can give you some pointers.  My guess for a Development Masters is that they want to gauge your interpersonal / conversational skills, even though it's one-way. 

The "interview" was... interesting. I've never seen or done anything like it. First there was a video message from the director congratulating me for making it on to a list of the top applicants (yay!) Then a recording played with the director asking a question. As soon as the clip of the question ended, it began recording my response with a maximum of 1 minute of recording time, though I could stop the recording before then if I finished my answer. There were a few of these. It was nerve-wracking that there were no do-overs or the chance to explain things (60 seconds goes by in a flash). I prepared for it like a normal interview and thought it went well.

The "interview" was... interesting. I've never seen or done anything like it. First there was a video message from the director congratulating me for making it on to a list of the top applicants (yay!) Then a recording played with the director asking a question. As soon as the clip of the question ended, it began recording my response with a maximum of 1 minute of recording time, though I could stop the recording before then if I finished my answer. There were a few of these. It was nerve-wracking that there were no do-overs or the chance to explain things (60 seconds goes by in a flash). I prepared for it like a normal interview and thought it went well.

That is absolutely ridiculous. I hope you hear good news soon.