Informal offer from #1 choice, nothing from #2

jehane

I've got applications in for two places, and my #1 choice has advised that they will be sending me a letter of offer soon.  Since they want me to start over the summer doing research, they want a quick response.  The other location would be a regular August start, so they may not be as far along in their selection process.  How should I let them know that I've accepted elsewhere, and should I wait until after I've formally accepted the first one, or before?  Provided it's an adequate stipend, I'll definitely be accepting the #1 offer.  Both are GRAs with specific projects and I contacted both professors before submitting my applications.  

If it's relevant, I'm a foreign student applying to USA universities.  

Thanks

Yes, definitely wait until you have a formal offer - until then, operate as though you don't have an offer at all (because really, you don't).  Once you have an offer and you know you want to accept, you can just call the contact person listed on the application and notify them that you've accepted an offer and want to withdraw your application.  Congrats!

Thanks for the advice so far. I now have a formal offer which I will be accepting. I guess since I've been in contact with the professor at uni#2 and she was quite keen to have me on board I feel a bit bad about withdrawing my application before they've had a chance to make me an offer. Then again, it's not the first time I've withdrawn a job application because my first choice came through earlier.