miller analogies test

driver 8

I'm applying for the Political Science graduate program at Portland State and they allow you to replace the GRE with the MAT. As someone who struggled with GRE math, I decided to do this and ended up being in the 91st overall percentile and 92nd in my intended major.

Basically I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with the MAT at all. I know broadly these are good scores but I don't know much about the MAT and the research I've done hasn't really given any results. Was taking the MAT instead a wrong choice, even if officially accepted? Does it make me look weaker than a student who took the GRE instead? Or do my solid scores make up that gap?

Thanks in advance!

If a school accepts either the GRE or the MAT, I don't see any reason why they would hold it against you for choosing the MAT. I can't imagine how taking the MAT over the GRE would potentially affect you in any way, but you can contact the program to see if the GRE is preferred or required for anything important like funding opportunities.

I took the MAT a few years ago (unfortunately for a program that I ultimately didn't apply to) and scored in the 95th percentile. The MAT is a strange test--impossible to prepare for in any significant way IMO as it felt like I was being tested on everything I had ever learned in history, language arts, biology, and math but in analogy form--and I remember feeling like I'd bombed it. I was shocked when I got my results in the mail.

I took it for my special Ed program at University of Oregon. I was wondering the same thing, but decided if they offer it, they must not hold it against you. I hope im right. I decided to apply late, so needed to get the test done ASAP. The MAT was easier to study for, much cheaper, and same day to schedule, so its what I went for. I think I ended up scoring better on it that I would have for the GRE. I ended up with a 90 percentile for both overall and my major. I will say its the weirdest test I've ever taken.

I am thinking about taking the MAT also. I have been able to do well on the GRE qualitative and essay portions, but the math is unfortunately not for me! I am wondering how much schools who accept both the GRE and the MAT weigh one over the other? I am a speech pathology student who cannot seem to get into grad school because of math from the GRE. What a bummer!

• 1 month later...

I took the MAT instead of the GRE because it seemed like it required less studying. I got into a doctorate program. Based on how much I hate my doctorate program I'm glad I chose the MAT. I would feel worse if I spent a lot time studying to end up in this program I now hate.

Edited by Zorah