Asian Languages and Cultures program ranking

LHW

No, I'm quite sure there isn't. I've searched high and low on the internet and come up with nothing. NRC may rank them, but the most recent NRC rankings are like 12 years old or something.

I think it would be essentially impossible to rank Asian Studies Depts as a whole-- it's such a broad field, and most departments have strengths in only a few sub-fields. Several universities also have multiple departments or centres, i.e. for East, South, Southeast Asian studies. There really isn't such a thing as a comprehensive Asian studies dept with strengths across the board that I know of, perhaps with the exception of Washington. Other places that are great in EALC suck ass in SALC (Columbia, Yale come to mind). Such would completely skew the rankings.

Anyway, OP, what field are you in? I have a pretty good idea of the South Asian and Indian Buddhist Studies programs out there and created my own personal ranking tailored to my specific interests. I can answer any questions about those fields if you are interested.

No, I'm quite sure there isn't. I've searched high and low on the internet and come up with nothing. NRC may rank them, but the most recent NRC rankings are like 12 years old or something.

I think it would be essentially impossible to rank Asian Studies Depts as a whole-- it's such a broad field, and most departments have strengths in only a few sub-fields. Several universities also have multiple departments or centres, i.e. for East, South, Southeast Asian studies. There really isn't such a thing as a comprehensive Asian studies dept with strengths across the board that I know of, perhaps with the exception of Washington. Other places that are great in EALC suck ass in SALC (Columbia, Yale come to mind). Such would completely skew the rankings.

Anyway, OP, what field are you in? I have a pretty good idea of the South Asian and Indian Buddhist Studies programs out there and created my own personal ranking tailored to my specific interests. I can answer any questions about those fields if you are interested.

Thanks tyler1,

Actually, I'm interested in Japanese and Chinese languages, cultures, and literatures fields. Do you have any idea of these fields?