I'm freaking *myself* out

Seatbelt Blue

We're down to the wire. All my apps are in and completed. I have an interview at BC. And I can't stop freaking myself out over my GPA.

I've posted about this before, but I can't seem to keep myself from ruminating on it. 

I was an absolutely *awful* undergrad for two years. I managed to drag my GPA out of the muck after my academic suspension, and performed pretty well over the following couple of years. After I graduated, I completed a semester at seminary where I scored a 4.0, but withdrew during the second semester because I realizedI wasn't called to ordained ministry (my autism makes that kind of ministry....dubious. I have enough difficulty dealing with a relatively small, close social circle. Dealing with an entire parish would be downright macabre). So, I mean, I got my act together, but when I was 19, 20 years old, I was a huge ****off who skipped class more often than not, didn't do his work, etc. 

Like I said. I pulled myself together. I got my shit straight. My most recent academic work is stunning. My Verbal GRE is a 170, my written a 5.5. I've already been accepted at Seton Hall. But I had to go over my academic transcripts during my application process, and I have succeeded pretty thoroughly in torpedoing my cautious optimism that BC or Fordham might admit me.

It's always unknown whether or not you'll get in.  But that being said, you have reason to be confident.  If they ask about your scores, just be honest and explain what happened.  You've already been accepted somewhere (lots of people would like that!).  Your most recent efforts and test scores reflect the scholar that you are today.  They're more concerned with who they're getting now than they are with who you were years ago.

Edited by bondsdw

How bad are we talking for UG gpa??

Dude (you are undoubtably male, if you considered the priesthood), you will get into BC. I would be shocked if you didn't. They don't interview people for no reason. They don't interview folks for wait-listing at the masters level. You are almost certainly being interviewed for some sort of scholarship. If I'm wrong, feel free to mail me dog poo or something. You got this. <3

best

My UG was a 2.54 after I dragged it kicking and screaming from the mud. SHU has a minimum of 3.0 and they accepted me, so I guess that's negotiable?

That is low, but again, with your recent work I would be surprised if you didn't get in. You got an interview and that isn't something they used to do at all (not when I was there at least). Again, I cannot stress enough that the interview is a good thing. If they didn't want you they would have just rejected you.  All will be well!  :D

I mean, they gave you an interview having *already* seen your GPA. It's not like it's coming as a surprise to them and they clearly didn't see it as an adequate reason to eliminate you as a candidate.

That said, they WILL (almost certainly) ask you about it in the interview, so have a well-formulated response for them and keep your cool.

We're down to the wire. All my apps are in and completed. I have an interview at BC. And I can't stop freaking myself out over my GPA.

I've posted about this before, but I can't seem to keep myself from ruminating on it. 

I was an absolutely *awful* undergrad for two years. I managed to drag my GPA out of the muck after my academic suspension, and performed pretty well over the following couple of years. After I graduated, I completed a semester at seminary where I scored a 4.0, but withdrew during the second semester because I realizedI wasn't called to ordained ministry (my autism makes that kind of ministry....dubious. I have enough difficulty dealing with a relatively small, close social circle. Dealing with an entire parish would be downright macabre). So, I mean, I got my act together, but when I was 19, 20 years old, I was a huge ****off who skipped class more often than not, didn't do his work, etc. 

Like I said. I pulled myself together. I got my shit straight. My most recent academic work is stunning. My Verbal GRE is a 170, my written a 5.5. I've already been accepted at Seton Hall. But I had to go over my academic transcripts during my application process, and I have succeeded pretty thoroughly in torpedoing my cautious optimism that BC or Fordham might admit me.

As I've been told by various professors, admissions committees like to see a story like yours. The person who makes all As at Harvard is less exciting than the person who was a train wreck their first year(s) and then managed to turn it on and do some good work. You've proven you can do that. It's a good story. It works to your advantage. It shows a trajectory toward success.