2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

My family doesn't seem to understand that you have to apply well in advance. They keep asking me if I'm starting classes soon. I just want to know where I'm going! Speaking of: has anyone heard anything / know anything about Auburn? The results search is turning up mostly rejections from past years so I have no idea of a timeline. Also it was my only school that required everything by mail so I'm not even sure they got it / are even considering me. This is my dad's and grandparents alma mater so they ask about it even more often.... the next couple of weeks are going to be long ones....

I have never actually had that happen, but I have had plenty of people outside of the process give me all sorts of "advice" which can be frustrating... Of course I think I have discovered there is really nothing much anyone can say that will take away the crazy :) My favorite one so far has been in regards to Wisconsin-Madison (a serious "never gonna happen" stretch program for me, so I really wasn't too bummed when I got that rejection) asking if they have somehow magically reconsidered "yet".

Thanks for the warm welcome. Good luck, I'm actually from Oklahoma originally (live in CO now) and have a good friend who went to the OU program. 

Take care!

-Chris 

Haha yes - it's funny - people just seem so clueless about the way it works, and when it's about 99% of what I think about every day, it seems absurd for them to be so clueless.  I guess I should give them a break!  I am from Oklahoma too..Just moved back here a few months ago, actually.  Can't decide if I want to stay or leave again now for grad school! 

My family doesn't seem to understand that you have to apply well in advance. They keep asking me if I'm starting classes soon. I just want to know where I'm going! Speaking of: has anyone heard anything / know anything about Auburn? The results search is turning up mostly rejections from past years so I have no idea of a timeline. Also it was my only school that required everything by mail so I'm not even sure they got it / are even considering me. This is my dad's and grandparents alma mater so they ask about it even more often.... the next couple of weeks are going to be long ones....

I think we will be hearing from Auburn fairly soon, like in the next 2 weeks. Their GTA applications are due the 17th I think, so the will probably have made a decision by them. 

Wow, I am quite scared now looking at this! I am a junior so I'll be applying for grad school next year.  I am looking at USF, UF, TCU, UNC-CH, UVA, Vandy, UM College Park, UGA,  James Madison, and UNC Greensboro.  My first choice is UNC-Chapel Hill, but from what I gather, it is nearly impossible to get in.  My GPA is currently 4.0, and I took a practice GRE and got 161/ 160.  I am wondering if anyone DID get into UNC CH.  Any suggestions?   Also, can anyone offer advice about James Madison, UNC Greensboro, UF, UGA, TCU, USF, UVA,  or UM College Park?  I know very little about these programs, so am just looking for overall opinions or wisdom in general.  It is quite a lengthy list, and I ideally would only want to apply to 6-7 schools...   Thanks!!
It's great that you are already getting information about graduate school and working on narrowing down your list. I went to UF undergrad and it was wonderful! The University of Florida was my dream school and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to go there and make memories that will last a lifetime! As far as graduate school goes...they eat and breathe research. Depending on what area you want to focus on, if you are thinking about applying to UF you should consider what area you want to specialize in and start communicating with professors in that department. I know Dr. Altmann is normally on the admissions board so you may want to start talking to her or gathering info if you are interested in any of her areas: http://slhs.phhp.ufl.edu/people/faculty/altmann/ She is...different. If she comes across rude in e-mails don't pay it mind, but she is on the board and teaches undergrad and grad and knows what she is talking about when it comes to lang in the brain, phonetics/linguistics. Also, Dr. Logan is WONDERFUL! He focuses on Speech/Motor. If you're interested in language/early intervention Mrs. Vinson is a go-to she is also on the board and is a undergrad/grad professor, director of grad, and an undergrad advisor. She has a lot on her plate but is always extremely helpful. Finally, if neuro is your interest Dr. Edmonds is your person. She does a lot of research, teaches grad/undergrad, and specializes in bilingual aphasia (spanish). I hope this info helps! Research these professors, talk with them, and if you apply research UF, Shands, and the clinical opportunities....mention any contact with professors and interests in their specific classes/research. UF is a very, very proud school and the Gator Nation is everywhere and they pride themselves on that. Good luck with your future applications and I hope this helps....if you have anymore questions about UF don't hesitate to ask.

Speaking of venting..... Has anyone else noticed that when people who are not in the midst of this process ask you about what schools you have heard from, when you say you haven't heard from x, y, and z, they act like "Oh I'm sorry -that's too bad".... like "that means you didn't get in".  Even though they have no idea what it means.....it drives me insane!  Haha.  Clearly I am stressed today!

Oof, annoying!

I've had the opposite experience where everyone says I'll get in, but they have absolutely no clue how competitive admissions are or the kind of stats and experience the other applicants have. I mean, my lovely friends on this board kick my butt in so many ways, and we're just a sampling of the people who've applied!

Just got my first acceptance from Adelphi :). Does anyone know anything about their program?

Congratulations on the acceptance!  Perhaps you could clarify your question -- what kind of information do you want to know about Adelphi?  I mean, at this point, we assume you have done some research on it, otherwise you probably wouldn't have applied.  Do you have any specific questions that someone knowledgeable of the program could help answer? 

Just got my first acceptance from Adelphi :). Does anyone know anything about their program?

I also applied to Adelphi,but haven't heard back yet, did you receive the acceptance via email or postal mail? I visited the Garden City campus over the summer and really liked the program. I also have two friends who attend now- one at each campus and they both like it. Which campus did you apply to? Congrats on the acceptance!!

Edited by hopefulslp88

Congratulations on the acceptance!  Perhaps you could clarify your question -- what kind of information do you want to know about Adelphi?  I mean, at this point, we assume you have done some research on it, otherwise you probably wouldn't have applied.  Do you have any specific questions that someone knowledgeable of the program could help answer? 

Thank you :). I'm definitely excited to know that I've gotten in somewhere haha. Still waiting to hear back from 9 more schools though!

If anyone has any personal experience with the school, that's more what I'm looking for I guess. The website actually doesn't give that much (less information that most of my other schools). Like does anyone know if they give any funding? (and if it would have come in the letter). Or about graduate assistantships? Or really anything regarding the reputation of the program, how people seem to like it, etc. Pretty much anything that anyone knows that can't be gained from the few paragraphs on the website I'm happy to hear haha :)

I also applied to Adelphi,but haven't heard back yet, did you receive the acceptance via email or postal mail? I visited the Garden City campus over the summer and really liked the program. I also have two friends who attend now- one at each campus and they both like it. Which campus did you apply to? Congrats on the acceptance!!

Thank you! Hopefully you'll hear back soon :). I'm away at school right now, and just got a phone call from my mom since she just got the acceptance letter in the mail haha. From what I can see from the results board Adelphi seems to send acceptances really scattered though, so I don't think you not hearing anything yet is a bad sign :).

Is it funny that when I filled out my application, I don't recall there being an option to pick a campus? I'm pretty sure I'm accepted to the Garden City campus, but I can't say 100% since I really don't remember that part haha. That's great to hear both of your friends like the program though! I actually made a last minute decision to graduate early and apply to grad school this year (we're talking like January 20th for the February 1st deadlines), so I haven't visited any of the schools I applied to yet. I plan on visiting once I find out where I've been accepted to, and making my decision then (if there is a decision to make at all, if not I'll definitely be at Adelphi haha)

Hi all! I applied last year and was rejected to all 6 schools that I applied to. This is my second year applying and although I have received another rejection :( I have finally been offered an interview! I am going through the waiting game with 3 more schools. This interview gives me hope. I am so passionate about this field and I have been working toward making this as a career since my first experience shadowing a SLP in high school. Each rejection hurts more than the last, but ultimately there is nothing I can do about it. I graduated from UF and majored in CSD and minored in education. My GPA is competitive and I have a lot of experience working in the field during undergrad and as a SLPA after I graduated. But, rejection after rejection come in and it's frustrating, hurtful, and really confusing. I keep asking myself what I'm doing wrong but I am so grateful for the interview opportunity. It only takes one! Keep your heads up and don't give up!

Did you work as an SPLA in Florida? Im starting to look into different state's SPLA policies.. obviously finding lots of confusing and mixed info. As a plan B I was thinking of moving somewhere and doing this (I am in New Jersey currently and SPLAs are not allowed). Anyone that can weigh in on this please help!

Wow, I am quite scared now looking at this! I am a junior so I'll be applying for grad school next year.  I am looking at USF, UF, TCU, UNC-CH, UVA, Vandy, UM College Park, UGA,  James Madison, and UNC Greensboro.  My first choice is UNC-Chapel Hill, but from what I gather, it is nearly impossible to get in.  My GPA is currently 4.0, and I took a practice GRE and got 161/ 160.  I am wondering if anyone DID get into UNC CH.  Any suggestions?

Also, can anyone offer advice about James Madison, UNC Greensboro, UF, UGA, TCU, USF, UVA,  or UM College Park?  I know very little about these programs, so am just looking for overall opinions or wisdom in general.  It is quite a lengthy list, and I ideally would only want to apply to 6-7 schools...

Thanks!!

Several people here did get into CH (KatieLiz, junowhat, and I believe some other members whose names I can't think of at the moment). Your stats are fantastic, so your numbers won't hinder you, but they won't get you in, either. That's where your SOP, LORs, and CV come into play.

It's best to ask yourself if you're more interested in school-based SLP work or clinical-based. If you're not sure, there are definitely programs that will prepare you for both, but it seems like many schools favor one over the other. You can email schools (though it might be better to wait until early summer after the rigmarole of admissions is over) and ask for more information.

I think six or seven schools is a good amount, especially if you mix in some of the extremely competitive programs (CH, Vandy) with some schools with higher acceptance rates. If I could go back, I probably would've applied to five programs.

Thank you! Hopefully you'll hear back soon :). I'm away at school right now, and just got a phone call from my mom since she just got the acceptance letter in the mail haha. From what I can see from the results board Adelphi seems to send acceptances really scattered though, so I don't think you not hearing anything yet is a bad sign :).

Is it funny that when I filled out my application, I don't recall there being an option to pick a campus? I'm pretty sure I'm accepted to the Garden City campus, but I can't say 100% since I really don't remember that part haha. That's great to hear both of your friends like the program though! I actually made a last minute decision to graduate early and apply to grad school this year (we're talking like January 20th for the February 1st deadlines), so I haven't visited any of the schools I applied to yet. I plan on visiting once I find out where I've been accepted to, and making my decision then (if there is a decision to make at all, if not I'll definitely be at Adelphi haha)

I also applied to Kean, Stockton,Hunter, and LIU-Brooklyn- I'll let you know if I hear anything! You are off to a great start.... good luck while waiting for other schools!!!

I also applied to Kean, Stockton,Hunter, and LIU-Brooklyn- I'll let you know if I hear anything! You are off to a great start.... good luck while waiting for other schools!!!

I'll let you know too! Who knows, maybe we'll end up being classmates :).

Did you work as an SPLA in Florida? Im starting to look into different state's SPLA policies.. obviously finding lots of confusing and mixed info. As a plan B I was thinking of moving somewhere and doing this (I am in New Jersey currently and SPLAs are not allowed). Anyone that can weigh in on this please help!

Yes, I have worked in Florida. I worked for a clinic and rotated between the office/clinic, private school, and preschool. In Florida if you work for a school you go through the hiring progress with the school. Depending on the city/county there are various certifications and processes that a school takes in hiring an SLPA. Whereas in my case, I worked for a clinic so I had to get my license through the Florida Department of Health. Once you have found a company to work for they will help you complete the license application because they have to fill out the portion of the application which explains in detail what your position will entail and who your supervisor will be. 

There are jobs throughout the state. When searching online I have found that there are very few postings in Florida. However, I assure you there are plenty of jobs you just have to take the time to call many locations. Don't get discouraged if some tell you no or tell you that they don't hire SLPAs, because there are plenty of places in need of SLPAs. Good luck with your search!

Hi Everyone,    I just discovered this place while going somewhat insane waiting for news on applications. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for sanity!   I'm an out-of-field applicant finishing up a another BS in Comm Disorders. Although most of my experience is in industry (biochem and software development), I have a couple years volunteer experience in child welfare (CASA and internship at an RTC) and a little time working camps with some awesome kiddos living with autism. I only really discovered SLP a year and a half ago when I was really dedicated to a social work track and fell in love with the field starting with one elective credit I was taking for a degree in child development - this prompted a bit of an about-face.    I have reasonable-ish stats, but I can't believe how competitive things are... and I have to admit, looking at people on here makes me realize just how weak of a candidate I really am. At this point I. JUST. WANT. TO. KNOW. ANYTHING!!! :D My top choice (now that my dream "never gonna happen" program rejected me) is Colorado-Boulder. But I think that is a phenomenal long shot.    Take care!   -Chris  
We have similar stats (3.28 GPA, 159V, 157Q) but I think it comes down to our LORs, SOP, and overall "fit" and some luck. So don't worry, you're not as weak as you think you are!

Congratulations!!!  :D I also applied to Adelphi and am now anxiously awaiting to hear back from them. Do you remember when you sent your application? 

It's almost Friday.  Hopefully good news Friday will happen!  If not, at least it will be the weekend and we can relax for a couple days! 

HA you would think that, right? I got my waitlist letter at 11:00 pm on a sunday. I feel like maybe no day is safe...

Wow, I am quite scared now looking at this! I am a junior so I'll be applying for grad school next year.  I am looking at USF, UF, TCU, UNC-CH, UVA, Vandy, UM College Park, UGA,  James Madison, and UNC Greensboro.  My first choice is UNC-Chapel Hill, but from what I gather, it is nearly impossible to get in.  My GPA is currently 4.0, and I took a practice GRE and got 161/ 160.  I am wondering if anyone DID get into UNC CH.  Any suggestions?

Also, can anyone offer advice about James Madison, UNC Greensboro, UF, UGA, TCU, USF, UVA,  or UM College Park?  I know very little about these programs, so am just looking for overall opinions or wisdom in general.  It is quite a lengthy list, and I ideally would only want to apply to 6-7 schools...

Thanks!!

I'm an undergrad at UVA majoring in Com Dis, and I'm applying to UVA for grad school although it's not my top choice. In my opinion the major positive aspect about UVA's program is the quality of the faculty. Every single professor and clinical instructor I have met has been warm,welcoming, knowledgeable, and willing to help you. If you get in your adviser will probably be Dr. Filip Loncke who is like a gift sent from heaven. He will help you in any way he can and he's so approachable and wonderful. The program takes Track 1 and Track 2 candidates, so if you are a Track 2 (major other than Com Dis) you will have to spend some time taking classes with undergrads. 

The reason UVA isn't my top choice is because it's very centered around younger clients, which is fine, but I really want to be able to get more experience with adult clients. I feel like it's not the best fit for me in that regard although I do love it here. Also, as an undergrad you definitely get the whole college experience but I've talked to a couple of grad students who have told me they aren't really connected to UVA at all. They basically stick to one building (where the classes, the professors, and the on-campus clinic are). I'm not sure if all grad programs are like that, but I feel like they're missing out on exploring UVA and Charlottesville, which is an amazing city. There are 2 major hospitals (UVA hospital and Martha Jefferson hospital) and a ton of schools in the area to do school placements, as well as the on-campus clinic

Edited by AMarie